Swinderman’s battle to beat rare disease, POTS

Terra+Swinderman.

Lyndsey Swinderman

Terra Swinderman.

Lyndsey Swinderman, Guest Writer

Since June 2015, Terra Swinderman has battled an invisible illness called POTS, a disease that affects the nervous system, brain, and blood pressure.

According to dysautonomiainternational.org, POTS, or Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome is a common disease found between 1 million and 3 million Americans. It can occur through genetics or viruses, and in Swinderman’s case, it’s hereditary.

“POTS feels like a rollercoaster on the inside. One minute you could be fine, and the next minute you wake up lying on the grocery store floor with no idea what happened,” Swinderman said.

Blackouts are just one of the many symptoms of dealing with this illness. Other struggles include headaches, shakiness and inability to perform basic everyday tasks.

Her battle with this illness “began around 2007,” she said.  “I fell against a wall suddenly and couldn’t think. My vision was fogged and my head was spinning. I thought I had a stroke, so I went to see a neurologist. However, before being actually diagnosed, I’d say I’ve shown signs of it since I was young.”

Since it is such a rarely diagnosed disease, finding proper care, or even just a doctor that knows what it is can be difficult.

POTS support groups are a great way to raise awareness and find comfort in others dealing with the same thing. “I try to use my struggles for good – by educating others on hidden illness, how it is not a rare disease, however rarely diagnosed. I am encouraged as well as bring encouragement to others through my POTS group on Facebook.”

Her husband, Kyle Swinderman has noticed the positive impact she has brought on others. “Over the past year or so I’ve noticed [Terra] connecting with others who deal with POTS, even people we’ve known for years. It’s crazy how close you can be with someone when you’re both fighting something. It really keeps her and everyone around her strong through it all,” Kyle said.  

POTS is also known to be triggered by weather. Cold, rainy, and constantly changing weather is extremely hard on those suffering with the illness. This is because of ‘Barometric Pressure’, an ever-changing weather pattern where air pressure drops, causing fogginess and dizziness, and Arrhythmia.

“Seeing her struggle everyday pushes me to work hard so that one day [Terra] can live somewhere warm, which would overall increase her health. Living in Cleveland is rough, because one day it’ll be blazing heat and rainy, and the next it’ll be 10 below zero and school is called off. It’s tough on everyone because it’s something we can’t control right now,” Kyle said.

Swinderman’s biggest motivation has been her faith. “Honestly, God gives me strength, as well as my family and friends. Having so many supportive people around me gives me hope that one day I will conquer this and be healthy. I put my life into that faith, and I really trust it. I deal with this for a reason. I may not know it yet, but one day I will.”

Swinderman’s oldest son, Lucas, believes in his mom’s recovery, but admits “she can be a little crazy sometimes. But, I’m slowly getting used to it over time. It’s hard to know what to do and how to help, but I don’t think it’ll last forever.”

Regarding her positive experiences and outlook on it, Swinderman said, “POTS has helped me to slow down and appreciate ‘now’ more; taking it easy and not focusing on what’s going to happen, rather living in the moment and enjoying it the best I can.”

On her good days she can be found working on school assignments, with the hope and dream of one day teaching music to students.

According to Swinderman, battling an illness that affects such a big part of your life can be tough. She said, “Everyday is a battle, but some are worse than others. Good days motivate me to keep going strong.”