English Dept. launches Writing Center

Alex Tramontano, Guest Writer

They are available in the Senior Commons or the Learning Center in room 158 every day during 7th period, during the second half of the period on Wednesdays, and almost every period on Thursday and Friday. They even have a classroom page designed to provide students with the resources needed to help improve their writings.

They are the Writing Center created by the English Department, and they are passionate about assisting students with any piece of writing they may have.

The Writing Center was created as part of a collaborative effort within the English Department. John Sullivan, regular and College Credit Plus (CCP) English teacher at Mayfield High School, said, “Mrs. Beery has been talking about doing a writing seminar with these schematics; it was an idea that was around in the English center.”

The main purpose of the Writing Center, as Sullivan describes it, is to be a place where students can submit their essays and, in return, receive summary feedback and also one-on-one help. Sullivan also explained that the center’s Google Classroom page holds many different categories that students can refer to when they have questions about grammar, style, errors, paper structure, and more.

In order to receive access to the Writing Center’s Google Classroom page, and all of the resources and information that follows, students should enter the code 13u9pa.

Sullivan feels that the classroom page, along with the summary feedback and one-on-one sessions, are really beneficial to students.  He said, “The hardest part is for students to actually take the time to go onto the classroom and sign up for it.”

Sullivan expressed that a lot of submitted works come across as boring and lackluster and they need some form of assistance, whether with style and grammar, or with motivation behind the writing. Sullivan feels, in regards to a student’s pieces of writing, students need to “make it an enjoyable piece to read, even if it’s an essay… enjoy the piece you’re writing about [and] care about the topic,” Sullivan said.

The English teachers in the school aren’t the only ones to highly encourage the use of the writing center. Nicholas Somich, the News Writing teacher and organizer of the Paw Print News, said, “I think that the Writing Center has not been utilized as much as it should be… I don’t think any [students] have taken advantage of the resources available to them.”

Somich thinks that students need to take advantage of the many different opportunities they have to grow as writers. With the help of the Writing Center, Somich said, “Students will be more confident because they would have more input from professionals who are able to help them.”

For students just starting out, and more advanced writers, Sullivan encourages them to check out the Writing Center classroom page and sign up, because they may just need to refer to some guides when writing in the future. As for input on the next steps for these writers, Sullivan said, “Take the time to evaluate problems and maybe think about something in a new way.”