The Official Newspaper of Mayfield High School

The Paw Print

Troll toys from the ’70s tastefully remade in new medium

Justin Timberlake voices Branch, a grumpy character in

Justin Timberlake voices Branch, a grumpy character in "Trolls."

Katrina Jordan/Sipa USA/TNS

Katrina Jordan/Sipa USA/TNS

Valeriya Sobornitskaya, Guest Writer

This PG-rated movie, now available on Redbox, was inspired by everyone’s favorite dolls from the ’70s: The Trolls!

Children and parents alike rushed to the movie theaters to see their childhood toys in action. The movie offers the kiddie glitter and happiness, but isn’t completely unrewarding for the parents. The plot is intriguing for both the older and younger audiences, and is a safe movie to turn on if you need younger siblings or kids you babysit to sit still while you’re occupied

Anna Kendrick and Justin Timberlake voice the main characters of the movie.

Kendrick voices the preppy and glittery Princess Poppy who often sings and jumps around. Poppy is a pink troll with crazy pink hair and a turquoise dress. Her light voice fit the character perfectly and the singing made the movie that much more impressive.

Timberlake voices the grumpy and dull Branch. Timberlake’s voice, at a glance, doesn’t really fit the colourless and pessimistic troll. The contrast between the voice and character creates interest and makes the viewer wonder what happened to this troll to make him so sad.

Trolls, in short, are the happiest creatures on the land who love nothing more than to sing, dance and hug. They are hunted by the most miserable creatures in their land, the Bergens. Bergens are the big, antagonistic creatures, resembling giants, who eat trolls to be happy.

These characters generally are pretty relatable to most of the younger audience in the theatre, as they sing along and get up on their seats to dance, as well as gasp and laugh throughout several scenes in the movie.

There was an undeniable appeal of the cute trolls to even the older audience, as their eyes were glued to the screen exactly like the children’s. Social Studies teacher Jennifer Hyland especially enjoyed the animation style and she said, “the characters were really cute and the movie was just like really colorful.”

The idea of troll-eating giants may just go over the heads of young children, thankfully, as it is a slightly disturbing one. The children who did understand this idea often cried and wailed across the theatre, which made the movie slightly harder to watch. However, this may instill a thought of the fact that you shouldn’t take happiness away from others to make yourself happy, which is a good attitude to teach children.

Poppy and Branch, although contrasting characters, need to work together in order to save their friends from the Bergens, which sends out a message of the need for acceptance and cooperation to the younger audiences.

The older audiences chuckled as a few mild innuendos were presented, as well as some rude humor, which earned the movie a PG-rating. Hyland says, “there was nothing that I thought was too inappropriate. It was a pretty kid-friendly movie.”

Many older audience members reminisced about the toys from their childhood, thrilled to see them remade and presented, for the new generations to enjoy. Hyland says, “The troll dolls were really big during my childhood so it was really fun to see them in the movie.”

“Trolls” have been compared to other movies like “Minions” and “Smurfs” due to the similar animation styles and cute miniature creatures which serve as the protagonists of the movies. “Trolls” serve as a better children’s movie due to the simpler plot and clearer messages that help the younger audiences understand what they’re seeing.

This movie clearly deserves 10/10 cats for the creativity and positivity this movie sends. Now the younger generations can enjoy and adore the dolls that were such a big part in their parents’ lives.