The Official Newspaper of Mayfield High School

The Paw Print

New spirit shop to replace bookstore

The spirit shop will open in Fall 2017.

The spirit shop will open in Fall 2017.

Photo of architectural design by Alex Tramontano

The spirit shop will open in Fall 2017.

Alex Tramontano, Guest Writer

Mayfield High School will begin construction of new spirit shop after this school year. The shop is expected to conclude just in time for school next year.

Principal Jeffrey Legan expressed that Mayfield’s initiative is to help get students excited for their school and for learning, and he feels that the new spirit shop will help students achieve this kind of school spirit.
The new spirit shop will be located near the main entrance, in the open area near the courtyards. The shop “is going to be centrally located, so when parents [or] other community members come in… they are going to see the spirit shop,” said Legan

The design of the shop is going to be completely different from that of the current bookstore, similar to that of a college bookstore. The goal for the shop is to be a more inviting and aesthetically pleasing place. The shop is going to have a glass front so, “You are going to be able to see what’s in there all the time” Legan said.

Legan feels that the introduction of a new Spirit Shop will help improve student pride and spirit.  Legan said, “I always love to promote Mayfield so to offer, whether it’s polo shirts, socks, blankets with a Mayfield brand, I just think that you have more pride coming to school and when you have more pride, you want to do well academically.”

Mr. Mulheman, Assistant Principal for Curriculum and Staff Development, feels that the new spirit shop is a good addition to Mayfield. Mulheman  said the shop will help “improve the culture of the building and continue to upgrade the building and… this is a great way to get our students involved.”

A few classes are contributing to the Spirit Shop as well. Legan said, “I want a lot of buy-in from our students so our Entrepreneurship class can help run the shop and the Digital Art & Design to help design some of the product that will be in there.”

The students and staff both have high expectations for the shop. Mulheman expects to “get students more involved with the operations of it [so] students get that real life experience of running a business”

Senior Tanvir Aziz is a member of the Entrepreneurship class who enjoys seeing Mayfield make improvements for it’s future students.  Aziz said, “I feel like it will have a positive impact on the future students of Mayfield because of the convenience of the location and the new products being offered.”

Mike Milyo is  also a senior and  member of the Entrepreneurship class who  feels  the new shop will be  beneficial to students. Milyo said, “I think the shop will allow for students to gain some experience with business aspects such as entrepreneurship and accounting.”

Sophomore Justin Arnold is also excited for the shop and thinks it will help better incorporate a community aspect into the school. Arnold said, “I feel that it’s a fantastic opportunity for Mayfield to grow its sense of community and I think it’s a cool way to get Mayfield gear.”

The new spirit shop, in replacing the current bookstore, is one of the many changes coming to Mayfield this next school year, and allows students to become more involved and have a greater sense of school pride.