Football team captain commits to Columbia

Bailey Rotsky is excited to join the Columbia University Lions next fall.

Photo by Chris Schmidt

Dillon Coffey, Guest Writer

In late July Bailey Rotsky, senior captain of the football team, committed to Columbia University to continue his athletic career and hopefully make it to the NFL.

Rotsky was hoping to make his decision on what college he will be attending next fall after the football season but when a school he has been wanting to go to offered he could not resist it and verbally committed to Columbia University.

Rotsky also considered Harvard but liked Columbia he said, “At Columbia it felt more real. I feel like people just say yes to the name. The number one school in the world is not really that different from the number six school.”

Rotsky also based his decision on the location of the campus and the relationships he had with the university’s football coaches. He said, “On my decision on what college I would like to attend I looked back on the relationships I built with the defensive back coaches as soon as I stepped on the campus. Also the education is everything I could have ever asked for and finally I always dreamed of going to college in a big time city and New York was the place for me.”

Rotsky has always wanted to go to a big name college in a major city. He said, “There is so many things to do and so many things to see. Also my mom is from New York so I am very familiar with the area and there is many connections to have in New York. There are many celebrities and big name people in the city it is going to be a sight to see.”

In order to be prepared for the Ivy League education and athletic intensity he said, “ I continue to challenge myself every day whether it is on the field or in the classroom. I hope to build up my Strength and work on proper technique to be prepared for the Division One athletes I will be going up against.”

Life long teammate Andrew Curl said, “I have known Bailey since our days on the same youth team and if there is anybody that can go to practice, workout and still study for all his classes it is Bailey.”

Kyle Sakach who is one of Rotsky’s best friends said “There has been times where Bailey has canceled plans to study for a test or has made me wait a little longer than the intended time for when we would meet up to get a quick lift in.”

Rotsky has yet to decide what his major will be but he looks to minor in business management. He said, “While attending Columbia I am hopeful to attain a great internships and I will have a world class education for the rest of my life.”

While some people would just like to graduate from Columbia Rotsky said, “ Not only do I hope to graduate with outstanding grades I also want to become as great of a football player I can be, play against some of the greatest athletes in the United States and hopefully make it to the National Football League.”