Sophomore swimmer competes for state championship

Sophomore Gianna Ferrante competes in the 200 IM at the 2017 State Finals.

Photo by Dawn Ferrante

Gianna Ferrante, Guest Writer

Adviser’s note: The following is a first-person account by Gianna Ferrante who finished ninth in the state out of 16 competitors in the 200 IM on Saturday, Feb. 25.

Screaming fans, coaches whistling, and happy tears is all that’s seen and heard at states 2017.

Only being there for one race means a lot of pressure.  Thoughts running through my mind, “One more, one more.”  One more race is all that I had left in states 2017.

My friends and family were all there for support, with reassurance that no matter what happened, I would always have this entire experience to look back on.  I would always have the memories of being a first time state finalist individually.  No nerves taking over my body, even walking over to wait for my heat.  I knew everybody.  All of my friends from USA swimming were here with me.  Of course there were a few strangers, I mean. I can’t know everyone in the state.  Starting a conversation calms the nerves.  When the conversation ends, I remember where I am.  I am at states 2017.  I have a chance to be ranked as a top swimmer in the state!

And that’s when the butterflies started.

Thinking about all that I’ve done this season has brought me here to swim with the top swimmers in the state.  All the tears and pain has brought me to the state finals.

Looking around at all the others girls in my heat, they’re all faster than me…wait…no they’re not.  I’m here too.  I made it to state finals too.  I did the hard work to get here too.

But I need to think about my own race.  What I’m going to do to get that time or to get that place.  I need to focus on my own race, my own lane, my own strokes, not what everyone else is doing.  I’m going to swim my own race, and no matter what, just remember where I really am right now.

I am at state finals, 2017.

The starter sounds his whistles.  Each stroke I take, the race gets better and better.  It hurts.  It hurts so bad.  But that’s when I think about all the hard work I’ve put in and all that I’ve sacrificed to be here.  Touching the wall so hard I almost jammed my wrist, I look up at the scoreboard.  Knowing already my mom was in tears, so proud.  Staring unbelievably at my time, all I can do is cry.  Only happy tears came from me at states 2017.