Granite City delivers quick service, welcoming environment

Photo from official Granite City Restaurant website

The décor within the restaurant is stunning.

Jamir Nunley, Guest Writer

Having the expertise and mastery in creating fresh menu items from scratch is rare among restaurants. Granite City Food and Brewery has it all.

Granite City is a very polished, first-class restaurant that has a remarkable aptitude for atmosphere. As soon as you walk in the sights and sounds take over your senses. The sweet-sounding and mellow setting draws you in and doesn’t let you go.

The environment is suitable for any occasion whether it’s a birthday party, date night, or family gathering. When you first take everything it’s people mingling, socializing and everything circulates smoothly. The aroma of fresh handcrafted cuisine penetrates deep into your nostrils and makes your mouth water.

The taste of the cuisine I experienced was overall very flavorsome. As an appetizer I had the BBQ chicken flatbread for reasonable price at $11.45 and was absolutely delicious. It gave me a dulcified, savory taste and had a sweetness to it.

For the main course I had the bedda chedda bacon burger for a moderate price of $11.95 and it was worth every penny. My tastebuds were introduced to a flavorful, lean, and juicy experience. Although the taste was quite plain and slightly caustic, the meal overall was mouthwatering.

As far as uniqueness, Granite City has its own style in what type of restaurant it is. It is considered a restaurant and a brewery due to its on-site brewery and bar areas. Aside from the exquisite cuisine, there are plenty of fresh hand-crafted beers to choose from and there are flavors not typically produced by major breweries. It is perfect to go with friends or family members that are of legal drinking age.

Another special feature about Granite City is the structure and layout of the building itself. The lighting and open areas set the mood and make you comfortable when taking part in fine dining. There are a lot of art forms scattered throughout the main area such as paintings, designs, and a modern style of architecture.

The service was excellent and the server was very respectful. They politely introduced themselves and were very kind-hearted and considerate. They were very knowledgeable in recommendations in regards to the menu and brought us our food in a timely manner.

A problem I had was there were a lot of people complaining about how long the wait was, although I had reservations. People weren’t being seated in a timely manner and some people just left because they didn’t want to wait that long. People leaving loses customers and that’s bad for business.

A comparison can be made to Fox and Hound because of the same type of american cuisine. Both restaurants comprise of burgers, flatbread, beers, etc. However Fox and Hound delivers in more of a sports-bar setting rather than a dynamic environment.

Sophomore Michael Marshall has been to Granite City very frequently and enjoys the atmosphere and the environment Marshall said, “Granite City is a good place to go whatever the occasion is. There is also a wide variety of cuisine and the service is respectable.” Granite City is favored by many and lives up to it’s expectations.