The Official Newspaper of Mayfield High School

The Paw Print

Dungeons and Dragons Club receives extreme publicity

Raihan Malik, Landen Lograsso and Nayab Khan learn their crazy yet hilarious fate.  Club members meet after school in the Senior Commons to play on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Raihan Malik, Landen Lograsso and Nayab Khan learn their crazy yet hilarious fate. Club members meet after school in the Senior Commons to play on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Fadi Rached and Alex Killey

This popular game exploded onto the scene this semester, becoming one of the fastest growing groups in the school.

In just its first year, Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) club has quickly grown from a mere nine officers to an impressive 21 participants.

The reason why D&D club has had a surge in membership is that many reach out to D&D for a temporary escape from reality and to truly explore their imagination.

D&D is a role-playing game in which a group of people create their own characters and then go on quests and participle in various challenges, fights, and adventures consisting of storytelling elements combined with improvising scenes keeping the player’s minds on edge.

English teacher Lacy Long-Goldberg is the D&D club adviser and believes D&D definitely has some great aspects. She said, “Now that I’ve been an advisor for a while, I really do see all the creativity and all the storytelling aspects of D&D. It does tie into the English discipline, but it ties it in a creative way for students to have some fun.”

The Officers of the group, Connor Dille, Tyler Mitchell and Lancy Long-Goldberg feel they can do more through the boundaries of social media.

A podcast, a Discord account and even an instagram page is already in the works, expanding the reach of D&D club.

The whole goal of this strategy is to bring more notice to the students inside and outside of the club. The hope is that the club can come together through digital media.

Long-Goldberg would love for expansion of the club and game in general; she said, “I think it would be excellent if D&D club received attention through media. We have 21 members currently and I think it would be a lot of fun to have more.”

Senior Connor Dillie is an officer for D&D club and is very excited to be the co-host for the upcoming podcast. He said, “Expanding D&D club through media would be extremely beneficial, it would allow us to get more recognition through a major media.”

Dillie and the other two officers of D&D Club plan to start filming a podcast about D&D and all the positives it brings. Dillie said, “D&D is fun, and it’s interesting to see how people collaborate to see how they react to challenges, work together, solve puzzles.”

The new podcast aims to greet new people to D&D in hopes to even further expand D&D club and the game in general.

DM is short for Dungeon Master, who is essentially the story writer. The DM controls what happens and can be the deciding factor whether characters ends up with glory or destruction.

Senior Tyler Mitchell is another officer for D&D club who is a future co-host of the upcoming podcast; he said, “We are extremely excited to launch the podcast, it would be great to get more people involved.’’

Dillie said, “D&D presents you with challenges that make you think, it definitely helps you expand on your weaknesses. The game is more complex, and it takes a certain level to succeed.”

Long-Goldberg said, “If someone were new to D&D and wanted to join, I would tell them that you need to be creative, and able to think on the spot and also work well with others.”

The group meets every Tuesday and Thursday in the Senior Commons from 3:00 to 4:30

Long-Goldberg said her favorite part of D&D is “How much fun the club members have every week and seeing everyone come together, all smiles on their faces and the comradery that it breeds within all of the club members.”