Opinion: PDA, please go away this Valentine’s Day

Tumisu, Pixabay

Valentine’s Day is a time for love, but let’s keep the PDA to a minimum.

Elizabeth Corpus, Staff Writer

“Roses are red, violets are blue, the last thing anyone wants to see is you and your boo kissing in the hallway.”

Public displays of affection, or PDA, is an ongoing trend traveling through Mayfield High School.

Valentine’s Day is one of the most romantic holidays of the year, and it gives Mayfield students more of a reason to endure PDA for all to see. It is typically seen in the hallways during passing time, but now classrooms and class time are designated places for teenage PDA.

On page 31 of the student handbook, it’s stated: “Public display of affection (hugging, kissing, or inappropriate touching) is not permitted in or on school grounds.”

Not only is this stated in the student handbook but it is also addressed during the grade level meetings at the beginning of the school year by assistant principals Brian Linn and Jane Perry.

Since PDA is now prominent in the classroom, it’s noticed by teachers like Sal Grano. He said, “We cannot have people making out in the hallways. Our purpose for being here is and must be academic… I tell people the only PDA I want to see is public displays of Algebra. That usually ends wrongful PDA.”

Disruption of class time and punishment from teachers makes it seem as though it’s not worth it to perform PDA in school and to just wait until school is over. Junior Christina Rufo, who is in a relationship with junior Domenic Michalk, doesn’t think PDA is a problem for the upperclassmen, but it is for the freshmen and sophomores. She said, “I think the younger grades need to understand how to maintain a high school relationship appropriately.”

Many students find the PDA to be obnoxious, as senior George Gogidze said, “(PDA) is very annoying and it just feels very unnecessary, out of place, and discomforting.”

While there may be mixed reactions on PDA, Mayfield staff and students agree that it should be toned down or excluded on school property. But all in all, be nice to one another, love one another on Valentine’s Day, and just be careful who’s watching!