Midterms affect students’ mental health

Wokandapix / Pixabay

Semester exams continue into next week, as the W4 and G4 exams will occur on Monday, Dec. 20. Principal Jeff Legan said that exams don’t need to be traditional pen-and-paper tests. He said “[A midterm] can be a project, and I encourage projects because I think by applying what you learned is more deep and authentic than just regurgitating something that you memorized.”

Cami Stella, Guest Writer

For some students, midterms might be a crucial time to evaluate their progress during the semester. However, it’s also a time when students might feel more stressed.

Principal Jeff Legan thinks semester exam stress occurs for a number of reasons. He said, “It always feels like it’s just time for a break and so leading up to that I think causes stress, and then obviously student grades. You have kids trying to get into college, you have kids worried about NHS, you have kids worried about passing.”

Sophomore Abby Dominish believes midterms are stressful because they count for 20% of the semester grade. “I think students get stressed thinking about how much they have to study, which makes them overwhelmed with trying to fit it all into their schedule,” she said.

Dominish also thinks it’s been a real challenge trying to both study for midterms and finish classwork and homework. She said last week, “As midterms get closer and closer, I have been getting more stressed and overwhelmed with staying on-task and getting everything done on time.”

To be successful on exams, Legan suggests nightly homework. He said, “I do believe that students should read every night, and I do believe that they should do some kind of math, so maybe 30 minutes.”

Sophomore Allison Spencer thinks 30 minutes isn’t enough time to get her work done, as she balances studying and homework along with extracurriculars and family. She said, “On average I’d say I study and do homework for about two hours each night.”

Despite the overwhelming feeling that students may have as midterms get closer, Legan believes exercise and meditation can help. He said, “It works to just go for walks and take deep breaths. Honestly, in the grand scheme of life, this one test isn’t gonna define who you are.”

According to Legan, teachers can also be an enormous help to struggling students through their encouraging words and honest conversations. “This test should not be all-consuming. [Teachers can remind students] that the holidays are near, and they’re gonna have a break, and there are a lot of things to think positively about,” he said.

While students are trying to earn their best grades, Legan doesn’t think grades are most important. “I just care that you do your best and obviously I want our students to learn, but a midterm exam is just a small percentage of what’s going on,” he said.

Spencer thinks that after he last exams on Monday, her stress levels and mental health will significantly improve. She said, “I will be so relieved when they’re over, and that I’ll finally be able to relax over Christmas break.”

Now that the first two days of exams are over, Legan wants students to think positively as they move into the exams for W4 and G4 on Monday. He said, “Be confident and just do your best and don’t overthink it.”