Senior works hard to become EMT

Kaylee Korver, Guest Writer

Senior Joey Wilkinson works towards accomplishing his passion to be an EMT firefighter paramedic. One of his first stepping stones was joining the training academy at MHS.

Wilkinson believes that he can make a career out of his passion of firefighting. He said, “It’s a job needed everywhere, in the country, in every city, and every town.”

During his sophomore year, Wilkinson decided he wanted to be a firefighter after he found out he had a tragic heart condition. While hospitalized, Wilkinson was told that he would never be able to even run again without the chance of passing out because his heart was so weak and wasn’t working the way it was supposed to.

In the hospital, the nurses were very comforting and supportive of Wilkinson. He soon decided that he wanted to be somebody who makes other people feel that way.

Wilkinson said, “I wanted to be able to do that. I always wanted to be part of a team, and I didn’t want to see another kid hurt the way I was hurting, so I felt like this is my part. I’m doing my part to make sure nobody else is hurt like that.”

Wilkinson sees himself as being very determined. He said, “It’s the first time I’ve been the best at something and been willing to literally give my life to be a firefighter paramedic.”
Many things happen for a reason and for Wilkinson, he began to realize the true meaning of that. He believes that without his heart condition he would have never aspired to be a firefighter paramedic.

Melissa Wilkinson, Wilkinson’s mother, and big supporter of Wilkinson, said, “It doesn’t surprise me that he wanted to go into some sort of ‘helping people’ profession, because I think the fact that he was sick that whole year, and all the doctors, nurses and hospitalizations, I think he saw the positive effects it had to help him get better,”

Wayne Grant is one that knows Wilkinson on how he performs while working next to him in action and behind a desk. Grant said, “I believe that Joe is one of the top people in our class because of how professional he is. He’s a great leader and I find him to be determined in anything he does. Joe is smart, hard-working, and a very studious student.”

Wilkinson said, “I want people to say ‘He made an impact on someone’s else life’ and that at least one person can say that if it weren’t for me, they wouldn’t be living right now or have the quality of life that they have,”

“The one thing, I guess, I do want to really take out of it, though, is when I retire, I want people to say, ‘He was a good firefighter’ because it’s a very hard thing to do. If someone could just say that, that would mean alot to me,”. he said.

To many people, Wilkinson brings inspiration, especially his family and friends. Melissa said, “I think he inspires me, as his mom. He inspires his sister, his dad and his friends, because he’s so positive all time and he doesn’t let things get him down. He finds solutions to problems, and I think as a person, that’s a very good quality to have and look up to.”

Wilkinson’s story is found to be inspirational to many and a life lesson to never be forgotten. Even though life may throw some hard obstacles, Wilkinson found the positive to everything thrown at him. Melissa said, “I’m very proud of him.”