Egyptian honeymoon turns into captivating murder mystery

20th Century Studios official trailer via YouTube

Danielle Prilepskiy, Staff Writer

This week, “Death on the Nile” is one of the many movies being shown in theaters, and there’s a good reason why people are talking about it.

Originally written by Agatha Christie (also known for “And Then There Were None” and “Murder on the Orient Express”), this murder mystery is full of twists and turns and will leave you wondering who’s to blame.

The movie’s main character, Linnet (played by Gal Gadot), is a pretty girl who’s never had to worry about money after her grandfather left her a fortune. She’s known as a smart, independent person, who’s always been in the spotlight and gotten what she wanted.

At the beginning of the movie, Linnet is seen walking into a nightclub and going up to a newly engaged couple, Jacqueline (played by Emma Mackey) and Simon (played by Armie Hammer). Linnet and Jackie have a long history together, so they immediately hit it off – but not for long. Simon invites Linnet to dance, and everything changes from there.

Fast forward to a couple of months later, Linnet and Simon are on their honeymoon in Egypt. Along with a group of friends and close family who are all there for Linnet (and her money), the honeymoon starts to take a dark turn. An uninvited guest shows up and poses a threat to the bride, a $1 million necklace is up for grabs, and death awaits.

Thankfully there’s a famous detective, Hercule (played by Kenneth Branaugh), who happens to be in Egypt at the time and listens to Linnet’s praise and starts investigating all of the guests. He’s in most of the clips, listening in on conversations and watching how people act around Linnet and Simon.

At one point, Linnet and Simon face a dangerous event. Linnet figures it’s not safe, so she tries to persuade Simon to cut their honeymoon short. Even though he refuses to leave, they compromise to spend the rest of their time on a luxury boat. But still, Linnet and Simon can’t avoid trouble as it still tries to find them.

Freshman Anu Ravi says she was captivated by the movie’s twists and turns. She said, “The plot had me totally immersed and dying for more. I also really liked how the viewers already knew some of the details, but had to figure out the rest on their own.”

While the movie was entertaining, it’s taken criticism for not being enough like the book’s characters. Some people have also said the movie is awfully similar to the movie “Murder on the Orient Express,” which debuted in 2017.

Overall, “Death on the Nile” is a thriller that allows you to see the story from different perspectives and provides you with lots of clues along the way. I would give this movie 4 out of 5 champagne glasses for its interesting characters and fun, mysterious plot.