Students make use of local library

Official Cuyahoga County Library website

The Mayfield Branch library, which opened in 2013, includes multiple sitting and work areas. Junior Maaran Ravi said, “The library has a lot of resources such as the printer, outlets, and more, which make it really significant for school. It’s also a good place to focus and get stuff done.”

Danielle Prilepskiy, Staff Writer

A number of students this year have been using the Mayfield Branch library in Mayfield Village as a location for studying and completing assignments.

Nick Hheak, a librarian at Mayfield Branch, believes students learn more when they study and focus for a long period of time.  He said, “When students have access to a study room that is quiet and helps them focus, they retain information better and do an overall greater job in school.”

Freshman Annabelle Kamerman has been researching for an essay in her English class with Kari Beery.  Kamerman said, “The library is a great place for me to relax after a long day of work. The ability to put on some music and study while being in a quiet environment really helps me excel in my classes. I can also make use of the items that are in the library, like printers, books, and computers.”

Another freshman who enjoys working at the Mayfield Branch is Anu Ravi, who takes Nick Somich’s CCP English Composition course.  Ravi said, “There are a lot of distractions at home, so going to the library helps me focus better. It’s also good for getting things done from other classes and preparing for upcoming tests.”

Hheak encourages more high school students to make use of the library spaces. He said, “The library is also a place where students of all ages can go and find something that is useful to them; they can find plenty of genres of books, movies, podcasts, audiobooks, and utilize the computers around the library to surf the internet.”

The Mayfield Branch is located at 500 Som Center Road in Mayfield Village. It’s open from 9am-9pm on Monday-Thursday, 9am-5:30pm on Friday and Saturday, and 1pm-5pm on Sunday.