Legan works with police departments to curb drug use

Lara Nunez Cerrillo, Staff Writer

Leo is the K9 working with the Mayfield Village Police Department.  Photo from the official Mayfield Village Police website.

Because Ohio’s in a drug and prescription drug epidemic with an average of three people dead every day, principal Jeff Legan decided to involve local police departments in the fall.

Local police departments conducted a drug sweep of all the lockers in the building, as well as all the cars in the parking lot, on October 17.

Legan said, “[The drug search] was planned with Mayfield Village. Drug dogs from different cities, such as Willoughby, South Euclid, Shaker, (and of course Leo) were all here, eight dogs in all.”

During the search there was barking reported on both sides of the school, suggesting that someone was busted with drugs. However, Legan said the dog was just excited and barking because it was having fun, not because it found something.

After the first ever drug search last spring, Legan has implemented the idea that drug searches will become much more common. However Legan said the searches cannot be anticipated by the Mayfield community as they are confidential with only Legan, superintendent Dr. Keith Kelly and the Police Department being in the know.

Legan said he’s bothered by the drug use in the community, especially with former students who have overdosed in recent years. He said, “Many Mayfield grads had heroin overdoses, at least ten in the past two years. Within last four years, usage and dealing have become prominent. The issue is there and we need to fix it.”