Students eager to gain wifi access

Each classroom has wifi access, but students dont currently have the passwords to gain access.

Staff photo

Each classroom has wifi access, but students don’t currently have the passwords to gain access.

Emily Ivanov, Guest Writer

It has been a question repeated many times.  People complain about it constantly.  Everyone asks when it’ll be fixed.

The school’s wifi access has been a lingering issue for awhile.

The school’s many wifi networks include “Mayfield Wireless,” “Mayfield Device Wifi,” and “Mayfield Android.”  But because it has all been locked with a password for a long time now, students and staff included, have been continuously annoyed with it.

The difference between the many wifi login names is unknown currently, as well as the fact that I.T. is the only one, who so far, has access to them. I.T. is the Information Technology for the school, who handles all of the electric things in the building.

The reason behind the restricted entry was explained by Jarrod Mulheman, the assistant principal for Curriculum and Staff Development. He said the problem is “the infrastructure issue with I.T. They have to make sure all the wiring and route routers handle the amount of volume with 1,300 people at the same time.”

The building principal of the school Jeffrey Legan believes that overall, wifi is a beneficial weapon but needs to be set up properly with a guideline. He said the wifi is not available to everyone right now “because they want to make sure the infrastructure is set up first and that we have a policy on safety before we go ahead and roll it out.”

Recently, Issue 115 has been passed, a $6.9 million levy that’ll manage important staff, programs, and intensify security and most importantly – technology – in the Mayfield Schools.

With this tariff, Mayfield High School will be one of the schools that’ll allow every student to get a Chromebook, so the wifi will most certainly be depended on next year.

Legan said, “I believe since we’re going one-to-one next year, everyone will be hooked to wifi so that’s why this year will be our last year of making sure that everything is ready to go.”

Furthermore, Mulheman explained the advantages and disadvantages of wifi in the school.

“The advantages are obviously it could be a total for learning, researching, accessing, instructional materials, and all those other types of devices,” said Mulheman.

“The other side of that is if you’re bringing a personal device that may or may not have had been affected by a virus or something like that, and you’re opening it up- making our valuables inaccessible to those kinds of things,” he said.

English teacher Rachel McBride believes that wifi is something that can be used with some lessons and is a convenience.

McBride said, “I would like it. It would be nice but I guess it’s not essential for me right now because not a lot of my lessons or anything are built around that except for seminars like when we use a padlet, we have to go to the Innovation Center, so it’s kind of an inconvenience.”

Sophomore Hannah Bright thinks that allowing students to be able to use the wifi in school will definitely be something that can help them.

Bright said, “I think it is essential for us students to have accessibility to wifi. I think the major part is because we are all constantly trying to get homework done, which involves the use of Wikipedia or Dictionary.com and we don’t always have the approval to use the computers the majority of the days.”

Legan overall said, “I want students to use it [the wifi] because it’s going to allow students more educational access.”

The wifi will be expected to work for all students in Aug. 2017.