Students prepare for upcoming end-of-course exams

In+the+Library+Media+Center+courtyard%2C+sophomore+Taylor+Arth+prepares+for+her+ELA+2+end-of-course+exam.+

Gabriella Di Lalla

In the Library Media Center courtyard, sophomore Taylor Arth prepares for her ELA 2 end-of-course exam.

Gabriella Di Lalla, Staff Writer

Freshman and sophomore students will be taking end-of-course exams for a total of five days in the next two weeks.

English teacher Lacy Long-Goldberg has tried to get her sophomores ready for this week’s ELA 2 testing. She said, “So [we’ve been doing] traditional test prep, but then also incorporating elements of the test in-class assignments.”

Doing test prep in class allows Long-Golberg to help teach them tips in answering questions on their ELA 2 exam. She said, “Being aware that when passages are paired together, that is usually leading up to some compare and contrast.”

Long-Goldberg believes getting a good night’s rest also benefits students in doing well on the EOC. She said, “So getting seven to eight hours of sleep, which I know would be a real luxury for some students.”

Long-Goldberg is confident the sophomores in the high school know what to expect with this year’s testing situation. “Even in 9th grade, [students are preparing for EOC’s] so it shouldn’t be something that’s so unfamiliar to them, so don’t over stress just get your sleep and try your best,” she said.

Sophomore John Gelsimino is preparing to take three EOC exams: English, Geometry, and Biology. He said about preparing, “All assignments are optional and most kids blow them off, but I like to take advantage of the practice to do better.”

Gelsimino believes EOC testing is beneficial to see how much students understand. He said, “If you don’t pass, that is showing that you don’t know anything or most things taught throughout the school year.”

Freshman Kendall Peugeot is preparing to take her American History and Algebra 1 exams. She said, “Some teachers have given me packets and different resources mainly to help prepare for the EOC’s so [I’m] studying and reviewing those every couple days. I’m also staying on task with my school work and current assignments because I know that material will also be on the EOC.”

Peugeot thinks taking the EOC test shows off how much you have learned. She said, “Without the EOC testing, you do not know if a student has truly learned or comprehended the material.”

While Peugeot is studying for EOC’s, she is also glad to have shortened classes because of the testing schedule. She said, “We have lots of five-day weeks coming ahead, [so] it’s nice to have a break.”

Gelsimino on the other hand is only partially happy about the shortened classes. He said, “I’m happy they are shortened but not happy because we have classes. To me, EOC is more important than the final, so if anything, don’t have classes after the EOC to give students a break from the work.”

Long-Goldberg wants all students to do well and to be smart as they head into this testing week. She said, “I would say a big tip is just to make sure students get a good night’s rest. You know, putting the phone away, not staying up to all hours of the night.”

End-of-course exams start this week on Tuesday and Wednesday with ELA 2. Next week they continue with Algebra 1, Geometry, American History, and Biology. Click here for more information about the adjusted schedule.