Theme gets incorporated in “Voices”

A photo of the entire staff of Voices, pictured above, who work hard to create Voices magazine and stick to the theme. Kate Bakhtiyarova, third from the left, serves as head editor. Photo Credit: Raanan Shalom

Alan Yarovitsky, Contributor

Voices magazine is a literary magazine that’s published each year by Kari Beery’s Creative Writing class. One of the most important parts every year of the magazine is the theme.

This year’s theme is The Colors of 2 A.M.

The theme is carefully chosen each year by the entire class. Beery described this process as “democratic.”

She said, “This class is very democratic so what happens is we say ‘these are the ideas’ and put them on the board. Then, I ask ‘what makes this theme work?’ We then talk about how the artists will include [the theme], then give the top three to the art teachers and ask how it will work for their curriculum.”

The whole class is truly involved, according to junior Chris Pawlusik, whose role is to decide which short stories go in the magazine, “We each made our own themes, [then] put them on a collective list which we all voted on,” Pawlusik said.

Joe DeNardo is also a junior and is the assistant editor of the essay section. DeNardo is responsible for reading essays and deciding if they are adequate for the style. He said, “We submitted our own ideas for themes and voted on which ones were the most fitting.”

Since the theme is such a dominant part of Voices, the staff works hard to make sure to incorporate it into as many places as possible throughout the whole magazine.

Beery said of the theme, “[It’s] showcased in three ways, [the] front cover, back cover and …inside there will be dividers for each section, which will…include the theme. The editors will include two pieces of artwork [on the dividers], one of which will [have] to do with the theme, including a symbolic representation [of that] the picture will get darker [to represent the 2 A.M. theme].”

Voices magazine includes student artwork, essays short stories, poetry, micro fiction and even teacher work, all of which fit the theme.

The deadline for people unaffiliated with Beery’s class to submit their work to Voices was on March 13, 2015. This leaves time for the staff of Voices to see what will fit with the theme and to publish the magazine.

Beery said, “By April…we will have all artwork printed and given to us [by professional printers].After break, we…start to make the books, which will come out in May before senior search. The book is handmade…we hole punch and publish it by hand, which makes it special.”

Students are encouraged throughout the school year to both submit to and buy the magazine. There are numerous posters throughout the school showcasing the theme and details about the magazine. Some students that work on Voices also came around the school to sing about the magazine.

DeNardo said, “The artwork that is submitted is encouraged to follow the theme…” This is the idea that the staff of Voices went by when creating the magazine.

Although the Creative Writing class collaboratively came up with the theme, it was not an easy task. It is a process to make this magazine come together, especially to make it fit with the theme. Sometimes, what adds to the struggle is that there are multiple themes that come close to being picked.

Beery said, “We had so many good [themes…a] good struggle to have, if they didn’t work out this year, they will be on the list again in the future. “

The students that worked on the magazine also agreed with Beery that it was hard to come up with a theme. Pawlusik said,” It was really hard to come up with a new and creative theme.”

DeNardo agrees. He said, “Coming up with a theme [was hard] there was a long list…narrowing it down from the laundry list was the hardest part.”

Beery mentioned that the other ideas that were considered included Written Revolution, Where the Wild Things Are, An Illuminated Path, and A Normal Asylum. Written Revolution and An Illuminated Path came close to being picked as this year’s theme.