Mayfield baseball to rely on defense, pitching

In less than one week the Mayfield Wildcat baseball team will start their quest to successful 2015 campaign. Photo by Jack Hollinshead

Jack Hollinshead, Staff Writer

With a down season in 2014, the Mayfield Wildcat baseball team is preparing for a more successful 2015 campaign while relying on their defensive and pitching strength.

A program that has constantly been one of the most competitive in their conference, the Wildcats are preparing for a more defensive-based team in 2015.

With the coaches expecting leadership from their upperclassmen, senior and captain Joe Caporale is ready for a successful 2015.

Caporale said, “Our potential is through the roof; if we play like we’ve been practicing then we should be very successful.”

Seven-year varsity coach Darren Rapposelli said, “We have a very athletic outfield; we will be able to chase balls down; the infield is strong as well. Basically, defense is what we’ll have to rely on.”

As the seniors are always the backbone of high school sporting teams, success comes from a mixture of solid underclassmen. The Wildcat baseball team will be featuring a few very talented sophomores in Austin Mora and Luke Razzante, defensively.

Returning varsity shortstop Austin Mora said, “From what we’ve seen and done so far, our defense has been very efficient. I feel that if we play the way we’ve been practicing, we’ll have a good season.”

Third baseman Luke Razzante said, “Our team is in a great position [defensively]. We have a great mixture of upperclassmen and underclassmen. This is a great advantage because they will be able to lead us and teach us on what to expect from their prior experiences.”

A key aspect for the Wildcats this offseason was to improve their technique and form in the field. Through drills led by coach, Darren Rapposelli, the team has cut down the number of reps and focused heavily on form.

Razzante said, “This offseason our defensive work was primarily focused on form and technique. The reps were cut down for us to really focus on what needs to be done to improve. As our form grows, so do our reps.”

In addition to fielding, the Mayfield Wildcat pitching staff will feature a mixture of veterans and young arms. As stated by Rapposelli, “Development” is the key to a successful pitching staff in 2015.

Headed by seniors Tyler Lavelle, Joe Caporale, Joe Caserio and Ricky Charlillo, the staff will also see pitching from juniors Kevin Guzik, Ryan Walden, and Jake Agresta, as well as sophomores Austin Mora and Brian Nolan.

When asked about the pitching staff and expectations for 2015, Rapposelli said, “Pitching is young and needs to develop. We lost our best arm [John Schreiber], which means we need to develop to gain back the strength.”

A large part of the Wildcat offseason has been focused on the development and training of the pitchers in attempt to build back the strength. From body weight exercises and cardio endurance to band work and bullpens, the Wildcat pitchers have been going at it since day one.

Caporale said, “In ways of development, we’ve done lots of body weight workouts and band work.”

In addition, sophomore Mora talked about his personal development to hopefully make his presence felt this season.

Mora said, “Pitching wise, consistency is the most important thing I’ve been working on [development wise]. Our pitching staff should be strong if we maintain a strong defense.”

For the Wildcats, 2015 is shaping up to be a rebound season, one in which the team can improve on last year’s record. A big thing for the revival of the program will be the players trust and willingness to work with the coaches, according to Rapposelli.

Rapposelli said, “Frankly, it’s up to the players to buy into what we are selling, to understand their roles and to play well together as a team.”

With defense and pitching among the top priorities of the program this offseason, the Wildcats have built a team that should compete among the best in the field.