Mayfield High School finally getting Wi-Fi

The Wi-Fi will allow computers to not only be in computer labs, but also in classrooms. (Photo: Kevin Farragher)

KEVIN FARRAGHER, Guest Contributor

Mayfield High School is installing Wi-Fi, and it will affect many different aspects of the school.

It was necessary for the school to finally get Wi-Fi. Rob Gongola, Assistant Technology Director for Instruction at Mayfield City Schools, said, “It’s a necessity to have now, and it wasn’t fundable before. We needed to have it in order for this school to be considered a 21st century building.”

On why it was necessary to finally have the Wi-Fi built, Principal Jeffrey Legan said, “Eventually, we want to add more technology. Once were ready to add more computers, like in classrooms, it’s imperative for students to do school work.”

Corey Hoynacke, teacher in the English Department, said he’s excited for the installation of Wi-Fi in the school because of “two reasons; one is I like the fact students will be able to use their technology as resources; and two, I’m tired of battery draining, and Wi-Fi will get rid of that.”

The Wi-Fi will change and impact the school immensely. Gongola

said, “It will make things easier and more flexible, and it could also

allow for the ability of cloud storage.”

Legan said the Wi-Fi will have an impact “on everything. We need to get online, and this was long overdue. It will make us more efficient and make us use less paper.”

The Wi-Fi will benefit teachers by giving them another way to teach. Gongola said, “For teachers, it will give them another instructional tool that can be used for collaboration.”

On how it will benefit teachers, Legan said, “It’s going to be a tool for them to represent their teaching strategies, and will give them more versatility.”

Hoynacke said the Wi-Fi will allow him to “plan lessons where students can utilize their devices. It will allow new ways to do assessments and interact in class.”

Legan said the Wi-Fi will allow students “to do more, and will help with their learning.”

The Wi-Fi will improve education and learning in the classroom. Gongola said, “It will give the ability to be provided with more resources.”

Legan said the Wi-Fi will improve education and learning in the classroom because “it will further allow more student-centered learning around the building.”

The Wi-Fi will make the school better as a whole, according to Legan. He said, “Right now, if kids need a computer, they have to go to a computer lab, and the teachers have to reserve one, which causes some issues. But, with Wi-Fi, it will allow computers to be in the classroom.”

Even though the school getting Wi-Fi is mostly positive, it could bring out negative effects. Gongola said, “There’s always a negative side with all technology. It’s a new learning tool for teachers, and it could be hard for some to get use to. Also, kids might try to hack into it or do things they aren’t supposed to do, but that most likely wouldn’t happen.”

The Wi-Fi could be a huge benefit to the school, but only if it’s used wisely. Hoynacke said, “If presented properly to teachers and students, it can be used as a great tool, and if done like that, it will be a huge benefit to the school. But, if it’s used just for kids to goof and mess around, then it won’t be that beneficial and useful.”