Top 5 reasons to volunteer

Volunteer work is both physically and psychologically healthy.

Photo by Louis DeLuca

Megan Agresta, Guest Writer

People are busier today than ever before between academics, extracurriculars, and jobs , so they can’t fathom an extra time consumer, but these five reasons to volunteer will make you reconsider.

1) To Receive True Education

Jerry Turk, in charge of Key club at Mayfield High School, has realized how important volunteering is to students and individuals. “I think [volunteering’s] the real education,” Turk said.

“Reading something out of a book and rewriting it on a test, I’m not sure that’s what education is. So learning that we could really have an effect on the world and on people’s lives, I think is what life’s all about, it’s the most important education we can get here.” It’s important to realize that a silly grade is miniscule compared to a good deed that leaves everyone smiling at the end of the day.

2) To Develop Useful and Personalized Skills

If you plan to become a veterinarian, then the trigonometry you’re learning in math must seem pretty useless. By helping out other people and organizations, you can also help yourself and learn how to find your own path to success and fulfillment.

The Huffington Post said, “Volunteering might be one of the best ways to gain hands on experience for a future career. Plan on being a teacher? Volunteer in a classroom. Pursuing a career in environmental science? Find a recycling or trail restoration program. This is your chance to gain essential leadership experience that all employers want to see.”

3) To Create Motivation

Sometimes it can seem like we’ve sunken into a gunk of mud, but with the right choices and impacts, it’s not so hard to get yourself out of it. Volunteering can help you to overcome negative events and emotions, allowing you to gain positivity and spread it everywhere you go.

When describing the members of Key club, Turk said, “They know it’s not just the right thing to do, but it’s the fun thing to do, and it’s a meaningful thing to do. So, I mean the greatest thing for me is to see these young men and women catch fire to that and know that that’s what life is about. That’s a very important lesson to learn at a young age and they already have life figured out, so that’s awesome to see.”

4) To Live Longer and Healthier

It has been proven that people who volunteer their time are physically and mentally healthier than those who don’t.

Psychology Today said, “Volunteers are happier and healthier than non-volunteers. In fact, during later life, volunteering is even more beneficial for one’s health than exercising and eating well. Older people who volunteer remain physically functional longer, have more robust psychological well-being, and live longer.”

5) To Be United

There are no rules or guidelines to follow in order to be a volunteer, anyone can do it. No matter what gender or race you are, everyone who volunteers shares the same objective on their projects.

“It brings people together from diverse backgrounds to work toward a common goal. Building camaraderie and teamwork,” said the city of Leduc’s webpage. There are no limitations to keep you from going a step in the right direction.

In short, volunteering gives a greater meaning to life, helps you to gain skills, influences motivation and health, and brings everyone together. The next step is to get everybody involved. Are you convinced?