Science Showcase brings inspiration, excitement to district

Jared Serre, Assistant Editor

On a wet and gloomy Thursday night, some of Mayfield’s top science minds came to showcase their knowledge.

Filling Mayfield High School, thousands of staff, students, and families came to be reminded why they picked the Mayfield City School District.

Superintendent Dr. Keith Kelly was one of the many in attendance. He was inspired with how students built upon their past successes in the sciences.

“I’m more and more impressed every year it seems,” Kelly said. “ It seems like the sophistication of the research is just incredible. It seems to get younger and younger. Kids seem to know more every year. It’s very impressive.”

It was easy to see why he was amazed. The event featured something for everyone to be able to think about.

Perhaps the most famous exhibit is the annual Cardboard Boat Regatta. Located in the pool, many came to watch students do their best to make it to the other side of the pool while others, admittedly, came to watch the creative paper boats sink.

In addition to nautical events, there were many top notch exhibits by some of the younger Mayfielders. One of the most populated was the Lego robotics area where fifth graders showed how, with a little problem solving and electronics, one could operate their own Lego robot. Also eligible to be dove into were the fields of basic matter (grade three) to electrophoresis (grade ten) as well as everything in between.

With the sixth annual Science Showcase looking to have been a success, many are wondering if students are able to shatter expectations even greater next year.