Six things you may not have known about Mr. Hughes

Kelvina Ng, Staff Writer

Michael Hughes is a World and European History teacher at Mayfield High School. Here are some things you may not have known about him:

1. He and English teacher Ms. McBride went to high school together and are good friends now.

Hughes and McBride met in ninth grade English class at Solon High School. They went to the same church and lived in the same neighborhood. When they were both hired at MHS, they were reunited and became very good friends. In total, they have traveled to more than 10 countries together with friends, such as Ireland, Spain, Poland, and the Czech Republic.

1. He once played guitar onstage with his favorite band.

When he was in college, he went to a Better than Ezra concert. They asked the audience if anyone would come onstage and play the song with them. He raised his hand and got chosen to play the guitar with the band for the rest of the song.

1. He worked at a frozen food factory right out of high school.

The summer before his freshman year at Ohio University, Hughes took on a summer job at Stouffer’s Factory. He packed frozen food items such as mashed potatoes and mac ‘n cheese.

1. He and Mr. Beck are in a band together.

Their band is called the John Dewey Army and can be seen performing at the annual Open Mic Night here at the high school.

1. He loves journalism- and even considered changing his major to it.

He has always been interested in journalism. During freshman year, he started off as a social studies education major but was stuck between that and journalism. It is clear to us now what his choice was.

1. He loves traveling.

He has been to Europe four times and sometimes goes on spontaneous road trips with his wife to places like Pittsburgh, Washington D.C., and Ontario.

Some other things you may not have known include:

1. He and his wife are expecting a baby boy in May.
  2. He was a newspaper delivery boy at only 8 years old.
  3. He has been to the “Field of Dreams.”
  4. His mother is a Special Ed teacher at Mayfield.
  5. He played tennis and baseball.
  6. He worked at Heinen’s when he was in high school.
  7. He used to run the Gates Mills summer camp.