Prom court nominees share about importance of prom

Kelvina Ng

Mayfield High School’s 2016 Prom, “A Moment in Time”, will take place on Saturday, May 11th.

Kelvina Ng, Staff Writer

Update: Congratulations to the following who were elected to Prom Court!

Joe DeNardo, Kevin Guzik, Gage Bican, Kotaro Umeda, Conor Milroy, Megan Valenti, Jackie Huss, Olivia Ferritto, Anna Sintsirmas, and Lindsay Foell!

Mayfield High School’s very own prom, a “Moment in Time”, is this Saturday. The nominees for prom court are especially excited for it.

The students running for the court are looking forward to everyone being able to spend one last fun moment together. Senior Kevin Guzik is a prom king nominee and is excited for Saturday night. “Everyone dresses to the nines and is there to have a good time and enjoy high school in its purest form one last time,” he said.

Other seniors running for prom king or queen agree with Guzik. Senior Joe DeNardo is also a prom king nominee and believes that prom is a special event for all seniors. “It’s the moment where everyone realizes how much we’ve grown together and how we’re about to go our separate ways but we’ll always remember our time at Mayfield,” he said.

Additionally, senior Annie Okun thinks that prom is extremely memorable. “May is a month full of lasts and this is the one most graduates seem to remember most because it’s one of the last times we will all be together,” she said.

Being a nominee for prom court is a different experience for all of them. “It’s an opportunity to soak in the last big high school moment with my friends and other classmates,” Guzik said.

However for DeNardo, just being able to experience prom with all of his classmates would not be the best possible end for his senior year. “I want to win! If I get the opportunity to be crowned prom king, it will be the perfect way to cap off an unforgettable year,” he said.

He believes that he has the attributes for being on the court. “I feel I represent the class of 2016 well. I’m involved in plenty of extracurricular activities and my positive attitude is a quality that Mayfield values,” he said.

On the other hand, Okun decided to run for prom court for the heck of it. “I just wanted to give it a try,” she said.

Without a doubt, a chance at landing on the prom court is a widely praised “last hurrah” among graduates.