PRO: iPhone 7 leaks reveal exciting, new design plans

Apple CEO Tim Cook introduces the iPhone 6S and iPhone 6 Plus S during a media event at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco.

Photo by Karl Mondon / MCT Campus

Megan Agresta, Guest Writer

773.8 million: that’s how many iPhones have been sold worldwide according to about.com.

That number is about to change. There have been recent leaks about what the iPhone 7 will entail, and it’s going to be epic.

I myself own an iPhone, and sometimes the audio just isn’t loud enough for me even on the highest setting. Thankfully, an exciting new feature on the iPhone 7 is said to be a new audio system.

An article from the The Week states, “As well as revealing a new camera, the photos show there is no headphone jack—but, importantly, there are some speaker holes, suggesting a brand new audio setup.”

A missing headphone jack in the photographs is a reoccurring feature, so frankly, I’m not sure how I feel about it. But on the bright side, many websites offer an alternative to wired headphones.

Removing the headphone jack is also leaving more space for technological advancement. An article from MacRumors states, “With no headphone jack, wired headphones will connect to the iPhone 7 using its Lightning port and Bluetooth headphones will connect wirelessly. Apple is rumored to be working on Lightning-equipped EarPods to sell alongside the iPhone 7.”

Another technological change stated by the website is a wireless charging pad. This feature seems like it will be highly effective, allowing a broader range for where and when you can charge your phone.

For all the photographers out there, there’s more great news: there’s said to be an even better camera quality.

According to an article on appleinsider, Neil Hughes said, “The illustrations show a wider, oval-shaped space where the camera lens would go. This supports rumors that the next iPhone will feature a dual-lens design for even greater picture quality.”

One last feature that has everybody excited about the iPhone 7 is an edge-to-edge screen. The Week stated, “2017’s iPhone model will boast edge-to-edge display, completely doing away with the home button and top to bottom bezels on the device.”

Additionally, this change allows for the existing features on the screen to be hidden underneath. “Apple could embed things like the fingerprint scanner, the camera, and the speaker underneath the screen, making the entire face one glass panel,” stated The Week.

Overall, the iPhone 7 shows promise and new features that will show us how far technology has really come. You can expect the iPhone to come out in Sept. 2016.