OPINION: Why Mayfield needs a coffee station

Carolyn Cole/Los Angeles Times/MCT

The combination of an increasing workload and a decrease in sleep has led many students to feel as if there is only one solution—coffee.

Breanna Lucci, Staff Writer

Imagine a world where coffee is available to all students.

In this world, exhausted, messy haired teens place a reusable mug under that heavenly spout and listen, mouths-watering, as the machine releases steam and brew, brew, brews, sounding like a calm tea pot whispering to their sleepy souls. They can freeze, breathless, as the heavenly aroma fills their nostrils and… Hurry up and mix the sugar and cream in because they’re about to be late to class!

Unfortunately, I can only see this world in my dreams. In the meantime, I feed my coffee addiction by bringing a huge travel mug to first period and sipping all throughout the Mr. Pubentz’s government lesson. Then, before Mr. McGrath’s math 4 lesson, I mooch coffee off my grandma in the lunch room and hide it from the other lunch ladies as I rush to math.

Now, I know no one is as fortunate as myself—who else has a grandma that’s a lunch lady in the cafeteria? I have the solution for those less lucky than myself: we need a coffee station.

When I say that we need a coffee station, I am not saying free coffee as that would become a mess. What I am saying is, in exchange for a small fee, students can purchase easily accessible, readymade coffee.

You may ask, “why do you need this Breanna? You need to get over your addiction,” … Okay, yeah. Maybe I have a problem. But there is caffeine in many of the pops and sports drink we sell both at lunch and in the vending machines, so I can get my caffeine from there.

But I love coffee! There is something about having a nice steaming cup filled with that amazing smelling, aesthetically pleasing drink sitting in front of me while I’m taking notes in AP Psychology.

As a high school student, I am one of countless victims of the “I’m busy ALL THE TIME” syndrome. Two AP classes, Excel TECC that requires a 6-12 hour a week internship, a job that steals 25-30 hours of my weeknights and weekends away from me, and I’m working on writing my own novel independently. I have zero time for sleep. That’s where the coffee comes in.

Senior Kyle Langmack understands me. Every night he has three to four hours of homework, in addition to being completely dedicated to cross country and band.

“These commitments take a lot of energy out of me, so I get home at around 6 every day throughout the week with no desire to sit down and work out problems,” Langmack said. “The consequences of applying myself to academia include limited sleep.”

I’m sure much of the student body feels the same way. Somehow, in our busy high school lives, most of us miss out on the most important thing for our bodies—sleep. We, as students, obviously need something. Since more sleep cannot happen…coffee seems to be the perfect solution.