Mayfield girls soccer team season comes to a close

A+team+photo+after+going+undefeated+in+the+Western+Reserve+Conference.+

Keith Leffler

A team photo after going undefeated in the Western Reserve Conference.

Megan Agresta, Staff Writer

This school year the Mayfield High School varsity girls soccer team made it all the way to regional finals.

For two straight years the team has made it to regionals. Varsity player Tyler Klika believes that the closeness of the team has helped them to achieve success these past two years.

“I think that our team has a special bond that really motivates us all to play for each other. That kind of atmosphere has been passed on that we all want to win together as a team for each other,” said Klika.

The girls were able to come together to beat Massillon Jackson in districts 1-0, but they couldn’t do the same for regionals. In regionals the girls faced Walsh and lost a 4-0 devastating game, bringing their season to an end.

Junior varsity soccer coach Phillip Deaton believes that despite the score, the girls played a good game. “Despite the loss, the girls all played hard and as a team. In the end, I think that’s all that really matters,” said Deaton.

Klika knew coming into the game that it was going to be tough, but she thinks the team didn’t have a chance to display their full potential.

Klika said, “playing against Walsh is always going to be a tough match because they are a great team, but at the same time I believe we could’ve put up a stronger fight if we played them again. Playing Walsh can really mess with your nerves and how you play, and I think that we just weren’t all exactly there.”

With the past victories for the team, there are high hopes and expectations set for next year. It’s impossible to know how the next year is going to go, but Klika believes the team can accomplish just as much, if not more, than this past year.

“Honestly, you can never predict how successful the next season is going to be, but I do think that we have the potential to achieve the goals we want, including going as far as we have gone these past two years,” said Klika.

Despite the uncertainty, Klika said, “everyone coming back next year knows the goal and knows what has to be done to get there, so I think we are all willing to put forth the effort to get where we want to be.”

For the next year, Deaton believes that the girls can make it to districts, and maybe even regionals, once again. “I’m excited for the varsity team next season, there are a lot of great players coming up from JV. I think that next year the girls can be just as successful, and hopefully go even further,” Deaton said.