Student Council paves way for school spirit

Lyndsey Swinderman and Krista Rice

From Homecoming to the Harvest for Hunger Drive, Student Council is always working to make an impact on the community.

Many think Student Council is only working within the school, but outside of school, Student Council works hard to make sure the community is involved through fun events.

Coming up in December is Breakfast with Santa, a fun event for the entire community to meet new people and enjoy the season.

Melissa Fini-Sanson is co-adviser of the club, and she’s excited about the club’s winter event. She said, “Santa comes and there’s a dozen different crafts, where kids can come have breakfast with santa and then do activities!”

For years, student council has made an impact on the school and its community.

Fini-Sanson said, “I really do think [Student Council] has an impact; and a lot of times, student council is somebody’s’ outlet. Not everybody is into sports, or drama, or music– its what you’re good at. And sometimes student council is what you’re good at.”

No matter what student council has going on, it always has a positive impact on others and on the community.

Many of the members of student council also recognize the impact it has.

Emily Zieler, a Student Council delegate, said, “Breakfast With Santa impacts the community because everyone, including teachers can bring their families for a fun time with breakfast and crafts!”

Since Student Council began the Breakfast with Santa program, Fini-Sanson has seen a dramatic increase each year.

She said, “It’s our best event that has gotten even bigger and better every year…We used to be really excited if we had like 40 kids come, we’ve now had years where we prepared for a hundred kids and we ran out of stuff and had to run to Michael’s to buy more things! I’d say that’s really really grown in the past 5 years.”

While the growth of Breakfast with Santa is amazing in itself, the impact it has on others is the best thing about it.

The growth of the event has led to a lot of impact on the community, as well as Student Council members themselves. Zeiler said, “The whole thing inspires me; specifically the happy looks of the children, and the satisfied looks of the volunteers.”

Pancakes and Christmas decorations aren’t the only things the Student Council works hard to make possible.

Recently, Mayfield’s pride and joy- homecoming, passed. Student Council is the main source involved in planning, setting up, and creating the magical night full of fun.

Members of each grade stay up all night to work on the decorations seen each year at the Sweet 16 assembly. Their hard work and dedication is turned into something absolutely magical.

This year, Fini-Sanson worked an entire week pre-homecoming just to set up for Saturday’s dance. The planning, however, started all the way back in April of last school year!

All of the members of student council work hard all year to make sure next year’s homecoming is a success.

Student Council begins the process by brainstorming homecoming ideas, and then begins working on decorations and overall planning throughout the summer.

Zeiler finds homecoming to be not only one of her favorite events, but the one that takes the most hard work and dedication.

She said, “It takes a lot of planning. Its an extremely time-consuming process and relies on everyone in Student Council to work together to ensure that it gets done.”

Before any planning can even begin, Zeiler said, “The head council is in charge of choosing the theme each year. They try to make sure nothing is repeated from a past homecoming.”

Not only does the theme have to appeal to the student body as a whole, it also has to fit the budget.

We’ve all seen the excitement homecoming brings to our school- from the Sweet 16 assembly, to the homecoming parade and bonfire. The Mayfield Student Council really brings it all.

Zeiler said, “I find it has a huge impact, especially on the high school girls. Guys don’t seem to care as much, but it’s a tradition- and it’s our job to make it special.”

Mayfield’s Student Council has pushed themselves to be leaders and create a lasting impact on the lives of people inside and outside of the school’s walls. Their hard work and dedication shows no signs of stopping anytime soon, and will continue to grow stronger as time progresses.