Mayfielders enjoy variety of Thanksgiving foods

Kirk McKoy/Los Angeles Times/MCT

A Thanksgiving table is spread out at the Laurel Canyon home of chefs Karen and Quinn Hatfield in Los Angeles, California.

Danniele Patterson, Staff Writer

Thanksgiving is a holiday Americans learn about in kindergarten and is looked forward to for months in advance. Not only is it a time for family but a time to bring out those stretchy pants and overload on food.

Turkey day has been celebrated as a national holiday since 1863, giving Americans 153 years to perfect the meal they serve annually every third Thursday in November.

But out of the mashed potatoes, turkey, stuffing and gravy that is put on the table, everyone has their favorite. According to a poll conducted by cleveland.com, mashed potatoes are most popular. And what’s least liked? Cranberries.

High school students agree that mashed potatoes are the best part of Thanksgiving. In a poll of 40 high school students, 35% said mashed potatoes were their favorite.

Junior Julianne Kerver agrees with the majority of the poll and said, “Mashed potatoes are like a fluffy cloud of joy. It is like God said let there be happiness and gave us mashed potatoes.”

Allie Rus, a senior, agrees with Kerver. “I enjoy mashed potatoes and gravy because they make me feel warm inside and ready to take a nap,” she said.

Stuffing and cranberries tied for last with three votes each. Sophomore Olivia Casey who loves to bake and cook said, “Stuffing looks like something I would feed my dog.”

Casey has a typically untraditional favorite Thanksgiving food but to her, it’s a yearly tradition. She said, “My favorite is maple rolls that my Grammy makes. They are the highlight of my day every year.”

On the dessert side, Chris Gayomali, a writer from theweek.com, said to many people the most tasteful dish from Thanksgiving is the pie.

Senior Alex Ruggieri also appreciates dessert most of all.  She said “I like apple pie when it’s really warm and then you put a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. That’s what Thanksgiving is all about.”

And there’s sophomore Kevin Morgan who believes the taste is irrelevant.  He said, “I don’t care. Whatever’s on my plate, I eat it.”