Dear freshmen–midterms are coming

Photo by Janeb13, pixabay

Mayfield’s upperclassmen suggest you don’t wait until the last minute to study for your exam.

Danniele Patterson, Staff Writer

Dear Freshmen,

Whether we like it or not, midterms are approaching us, and fast. It is a very stressful time of year for all students but the upperclassmen at Mayfield have taken the chance to give you some tips.

First things first: do not wait until the night before your test to study. Megan Agresta, a member of the junior class, said, “The worst thing you can do is wait until the night before. You have to study before hand, even weeks in advance.”

I have fallen victim to this procrastination while trying to keep up with regular school. I left studying for my art class until the night before and trust me, it is not pretty. No matter what the course is, you must study.

Alex Ruggieri, a Mayfield senior, agrees with Agresta and said, “You can’t wait until the day before to get your notes ready to study because a lot of the time you’ll be looking for papers from the beginning of the school year to study off of.”

“Organize before you start,” Ruggieri said.  “Know what days you will study what class so you can pull out your papers and just go for it.”

Make sure you keep track of all your papers, even from the beginning of the school year because you’ll end up needing them to study. I have learned that it helps to staple all your worksheets and quizzes together when you finish a unit so you have packets to study once midterms roll around.

Alex Gephart, a junior at Mayfield, also believes it helps to have an idea of what nights she will study what subjects. Gephart said, “I make a plan and have good time management so I am able to study for each test. It helps to also know what order you take the midterms in.”

As for studying in advance while balancing regular homework, Julianne Kerver has a plan for that. Kerver said, “If you have a night where you don’t have a lot of homework, go over past notes for just 10 minutes. That way you won’t feel as overwhelmed when you get the review packet for the test.”

But all of the studying in the world will not matter if you let stress consume you while actually taking the test. Junior Lauren Irwin said it bluntly, “Do not stress about it too much. It will work out.”

Senior Allie Rus had the same advice. Rus said, “Don’t let studying take over your life because in the end, stress is just as bad for you as a bad grade. So just take a deep breath and don’t over study.”

Relax, focus, and think about the rewards of getting through this tough time (winter break).

From,

A few students who have felt this pain before