In Memoriam: Ms. Monica Senra

On March 18, former Mayfield High School Spanish teacher Monica Senra unexpectedly passed away at the age of 51. The Paw Print staff extends its thoughts and prayers with her family during this difficult time. While she left for a position at another school after the 2014-15 school year, her impact and legacy throughout Mayfield’s halls will never be forgotten.

Ms. Senra was as helpful as any colleague that I have ever worked with…she never tired of working collaboratively with her fellow World Language teachers in order to create excellent plans and activities for our students. If I ever had a need, Ms. Senra was always the first person that stepped up to help. Her amazing friendship and genuine smile will be forever missed in the halls of Mayfield High School.

— Jerry Turk, Spanish teacher

Ms. Senra was a kind person who truly enjoyed helping people. She was the first one to arrive in the morning in our office, and would lend a hand at anytime. She loved coffee and her dog Bianca. Monica will be missed, she loved the Spanish culture and was a patient, kind, and loving educator.

— Gina Burich, French teacher

Señora Senra was a very kind person. She always had a smile, and she really worked hard to better the Spanish curriculum. She would always arrive to school so early, at 6 am. And, she would always come to school with her Speedway coffee. She loved her dog, Bianca. She will be greatly missed.

— Melissa Fini-Sanson, Italian teacher

Senra helped me out so much in my first year so that I felt accepted and a part of the Mayfield family. The way she talked about her students showed that they were an inspiration to her just as much as I know that she inspired them.

— Phillip Deaton, Spanish teacher

Senra was an intelligent teacher with a genuine interest in teaching people. She didn’t just want us to memorize vocabulary but also wanted us to learn to speak fluently and become more aware of the Spanish culture.

— Surya Gopal, Senior

She was full of spirit and was always eager to help me improve my speaking.

— Paige Muttillo, Senior

As my primary Spanish teacher throughout my high school career, Ms. Senra’s drive never went unnoticed. She was consistent in her approach towards teaching and advancing her students. Ms. Senra will continue to be a moving force as I continue to study the Spanish language in college this fall.

— Amber Hall, Senior

Ms. Senra was a great teacher with such an amazing spirit and a happiness that was contagious. I remember freshman year when she would always laugh and quote the Jake from State Farm commercial before class began but got Allstate and State Farm confused, so she would say ‘This is Jake from Allstate’ and proceed to laugh even more. I know she’s in a better place now. May she rest in peace.

— RaeAnne James, Senior

I’m glad I had the opportunity to have Ms. Senra as a teacher. She truly shared her love of the Spanish language with her students.

— Maureen Baldzicki, Senior

Ms. Senra was a great teacher to have. She always had interactive lessons to help us learn Spanish.

— Michelle El-Badaoui, Senior

Quotes compiled by Ariana Chriss.