Wildcat Nation: New mobile app released

Fiona Burnham, Staff Writer

The Mayfield Athletic Department has been promoting the new app. It’s now available for free to download.

On Oct. 11, a new way to bring the Mayfield community together was unveiled: an all-new interactive mobile app called Wildcat Nation.

The app has been teased on the Mayfield Athletics Twitter account for quite some time, including a poll that allowed students to vote on the name of the upcoming app. The poll was open for 24 hours and was a great way for the administrators to enable students and parents to have a say in the development of the app.

Wildcat Nation is currently available on the iPhone App Store as well as Google Play Store, making it easily accessible and compatible for nearly everyone with a mobile device.

“My hope for the creation of the app is to improve school spirit through competition. The goal is to increase the number of students at all events-games, choir, band, etcetera,” said principal Jeff Legan.

Not only does the app keep you updated on school events and game times/locations, but Wildcat Nation also uses location services to award students points when they check in at specified locations during the time slot given. Rack up a certain amount of points and get opportunities to win great prizes including school spirit wear, gift cards and free tickets to school events/games.

“We are soliciting prizes from local businesses within the Mayfield community to provide to our students once they hit a set number of points. We hope to provide advertising in the future as a way to give back to those businesses,” said Legan.

There’s nothing high school students love more than competing with one another, and the Wildcat Nation app caters to that too! The top 50 players are featured on the leaderboard in order from most to least points. This adds an engaging element of competition to the app and helps out the school by raising event attendance.

Mayfield Heights resident Heather Hyman is a parent who finds usefulness in the Wildcat Nation app almost daily. “I’m not a student, so I don’t really care about the points aspect of the app, but it is really helpful,” she said. “It’s really easy to find game times and locations and buying tickets online through the app is way easier than waiting in line and doing it at the game.”

Despite the amazing potential this app has, many students are still in the dark about Wildcat Nation. “To be honest, this is the first time I’ve heard anything about this app,” freshman Sophia Rogers said. “The idea sounds really cool, and I bet a lot more students will get involved in the app if it just gains more publicity.”