The Paw Print

Damon’s right: Despite outlash against men, there are good guys in Hollywood

Matt Damon, pictured with his wife in 2009, says he respects women and wants people to know there are good guys in Hollywood.

Photo by Nicolas Genin, Wikimedia Commons

Becca Fritz, Guest Writer

Matt Damon is absolutely correct when he says that there is not enough conversation about the good guys in Hollywood.

The only thing that the U.S has been seeing on the news recently is the misconduct or misbehavior of men towards women. As far as I’m concerned, the allegations against people like Spacey or Weinstein have nothing to do with how I’m living, so why do I constantly have to see it?

During an interview with Business Insider, actor Matt Damon said, “We’re in this watershed moment, and it’s great, but I think one thing that’s not being talked about is there are a whole s—load of guys — the preponderance of men I’ve worked with — who don’t do this kind of thing and whose lives aren’t going to be affected.”

Minnie Driver tried refuting what Damon had said by saying, oh he is one of those guys that don’t understand what women have to go through. However, I’m a lady and I don’t mind him saying that at all. He has every right to say what he believes in, as does she, but he’s not alone on his case.

Damon also said during the interview, “There’s a difference between, you know, patting someone on the butt and rape or child molestation, right?…Both of those behaviors need to be confronted and eradicated, without question, but they shouldn’t be conflated, right?”

I believe Damon isn’t trying to be rude or uneducated but he has a very good point. He speaks for a lot of people when he says that good men should be the ones getting talked about, not the events occuring with bad men.

When Business Insider asked Damon if he would work with someone who has ever been convicted of rape or assault, he said, “I mean, I wouldn’t want to work with somebody who — life’s too short for that. But the question of if somebody had allegations against them, you know, it would be a case-by-case basis. You go, ‘What’s the story here?'”

So, all-in-all, Matt Damon didn’t say one thing wrong here and there was no reason for people like Minnie Driver to attack him.

I think the only reason he got criticized for his comments were because he spoke out against the crowd or majority if you will. In reality, what Damon was presenting to the public was what a lot of other people, as myself, were thinking.