The Paw Print

iPhone X brings technology to a new level with facial recognition

The iPhone X is pricey, but its incredible camera and sleek new look, among other features, make it worth the price.

Flickr Creative Commons

Flickr Creative Commons

Camryn Kocher, Guest Writer

When the iPhone X was introduced, many questioned and were hesitant about unlocking your phone with your face, but Apple truly created something incredible.

Aside from the HDR display, being water and dust resistant, displaying multiple languages with characters, and high pixel resolution, the iPhone X requires you to use no buttons, just your face and a finger for the screen.

The new phone is not specifically for everyone, Apple aims these devices towards heavy phone users, but encourages people to think differently with the new technology.

This phone is a great way to discover the world of technology and find all the benefits of Apple’s products.

Michael Bokovitz, a computer technology teacher who is fascinated by the new technology and is a current owner of the iPhone X said, “ I think it is better than other Iphones. The less buttons, less chance for it to break because you are not constantly pressing buttons where a screen is meant to be beat up.”

The new iPhone gives you the option to disable the face identification, but once you use your face, it is saved into your phone forever and stored, meaning it cannot leave your device. The phones apps cannot access your face ID if it is not specifically associated with the app.

The facial recognition can distinguish your face with sunglasses, hats, and different styles of facial hair. The magic behind the creation is it lets you unlock your phone in the dark, saving you trouble from getting up to turn the lights on.

The phone has a thought out structure and the purpose is to make it much easier for users and harder for others to unlock your phone. The camera scanning your face requires you to look into your camera and roll your head in a circle while keeping your eyes on the screen.

Kaya Yurieff of CNN wrote, “Face ID also requires a person’s attention, so users must have their eyes open and be looking at the device for it to work. This could, for example, prevent someone from opening the device using your face when you’re sleeping.”
Bokovitz said, “There’s always a way to scam people and hack things, I am not worried about the safety on my phone.”

Apples ensures the safety of these new phones and said, “Apple also says Face ID is designed to prevent spoofing attempts by a photo or a mask.”

“All other Iphones have your fingerprint, which scares me, the iPhone Xrequires your attention and focus,” said Bokovitz.
The iPhone X is an investment being it is somewhat expensive ($999.00), but many users that buy it say their reason for purchasing it is the face ID. Although the price is set high, you are promised to have an adaptable phone that works for you and includes very big benefits for the user.

Bokovitz said, “I recommend this phone, I can use the face ID with sunglasses and hats, but no one I know has gotten on my phone, I have tried it.”

Heather Kelly of CNN tech wrote, “The iPhone X is Apple’s vision of the future, these features and design choices will likely show up in more devices soon, like it or not.”