The Paw Print

Review: ‘The Legend of Korra’ impresses with likable characters, exciting story and beautiful action

Avatar Korra faces challenges while trying to master the four elements.

BagoGames

Elli Rakhmanov, Guest Writer

Exciting plot twists, intriguing characters, a beautiful world and elemental fight scenes that have never looked better.

‘The Legend of Korra’, a spin-off of ‘Avatar: the Last Airbender’, is a worthy continuation even though at points it does not live up to the original’s glory.

‘The Legend of Korra’ takes place in an Asian-inspired world, in which people can bend (manipulate) one of the four basic elements: fire, water, air and earth. Therefore the world is divided into four parts: Fire Nation, Water Tribes, Earth Kingdom and Air Nomad Temples. Whereas regular people can only bend one element, the Avatar is able to bend all four. After each death, the Avatar is reincarnated into a new person.

Following the One Hundred Year War, in which the Fire Nation ravaged the land and caused the mass extinction of all Air Nomads, peace is restored and a new Avatar is born into the world, Avatar Korra. With the help of her three friends: Bolin, Mako and Asami, Korra must stop the oppression of non-benders and a bender genocide, while also mastering the art of airbending.

In a lot of ways ‘The Legend of Korra’ is as exciting as the original. The voice acting is top-notch, animation is more fluid than ever, and the spectacle of multiple elements being bended across the screen is breathtaking. However, at certain points the animation might turn into a static image, in which the only thing moving is the characters mouth, but those instances are few and far between.

All voice actors sound enthusiastic, and always match the situation on the screen. The two actors that stand out as best of the best are: Janet Varney as Korra and Steve Blum as the main bad guy Amon. Janet Varney perfectly portrays Korra’s emotion and frustration and Steve Blum masterfully abandons all emotions from his voice to portray a heartless and ruthless extremist.

The story delivers a good amount of shocking and epic moments and always gives you an incentive to keep watching. But while the plot is good, I think there is not enough impact.

In the original, every season ended with a significant event which changed the state of the world and impacted characters, whereas in Korra the ending kind of sets everything back to square one, with a few minor changes.

Also while in the original you grew more and more attached to characters throughout seasons, ‘The Legend of Korra’ simply doesn’t have enough time for the secondary characters to progress and change.

Jordan Watson a fan of ‘Avatar: the Last AIrbender’ said, “It has everything that made the original good and the strong female character of Korra provides a good role model for young women and girls”.

With a strong plot, good graphics and an interesting set of characters, who don’t undergo a lot of growth, ‘The Legend of Korra’ is a good show through and through, and can stand fairly well on its own, and deserves the rating of four out of five benders.