Seniors prepare for early graduation

Wikimedia Commons

Mayfield’s administration overcame a scheduling conflict at The Connor Palace Theatre by moving up graduation one week earlier for the Class of 2018. Commencement will be held at 12:30pm on Saturday, May 12.

Kaila Colacarro, Guest Writer

An early start time calls for an early release as students are less than two weeks away from their graduation.

This year, Mayfield High school students will line up dressed in cap and gowns and receive their diplomas on May 12, which is a week earlier than last year’s graduation. Principal Jeff Legan said the cause for the change falls back to a decision made last year concerning the venue of graduation, The Connor Palace Theater in downtown Cleveland.

Legan said, “ I [book the theater] a year in advance, so we have to do it early. The problem is we are at the mercy of the shows that are at The Palace Theater. The reason we had to do it earlier this year is because ‘Aladdin’ is at The Palace.”

Due to the year starting earlier than normal and ending in the first week of May, school events have been pushed up as well. Legan said, “Prom is earlier, your final exams, which you will find out; we don’t have final exam schedule for this year. Instead you’re just going to take two class periods to take a final exam or instead your teacher has the right to not provide a final exam, and then Honors Day and Senior Banquet are earlier.”

Although these events are affecting all senior class students, one major change is what is happening with the AP testing. AP week, set by AP Central and The College Board, occur May 7-11 and May 14- 18, meaning some graduates will have to return to school, after receiving their diploma, to take their tests.

This situation is Legan’s biggest regret. He said, “I guess the one major issue is for AP kids having to come back that final week of AP which is horrible. I wish that I didn’t have to do that.”

Senior Brittney Finerman has to prepare for four AP tests this year. Finerman said, “There is so much that we have to plan for the end of the year. I know that graduation and all the other stuff the seniors have to do are going to distract me from studying for all my tests.”

Although having to prepare for AP tests is affecting some students, Legan said, “I think maybe it made them happier that school year is earlier.”

Some students are wondering why instead of the school year ending early why the venue for graduation was not just changed. Assistant Principal Brian Linn said, “I think [The Palace Theater] is phenomenal. It’s a beautiful venue. I think it’s one thing that the people at the Palace Theater have told us that Mayfield has one of the most dignified graduation ceremony of any high school they have seen, so I think it’s a dignified respected tradition at Mayfield.”

Students seem to be affected by this release in a positive way. Finerman said,“ Our summer is starting a lot earlier than normal which is so nice because we will have more time to spend together before we leave for college.”

Senior and soon to be college athlete, Gia Cannavino, has to be on her college campus sooner than other incoming freshmen. Cannavino said, “Since my practices start during the summer I have to leave my friends early, but the school year being shorter makes up for when I leave.”

Although the school year is ending earlier, it doesn’t feel like it to students. Finerman said, “Normally towards the end of the year we all sit outside and play foursquare but with the weather so bad it hasn’t felt like the end of the school year that I normally love.”

With the school year coming quickly to an end Legan said, “I don’t want to give away what my speech is, but my advice is to always pursue your dream; don’t let anyone sway you to go one way or the other. It is your life you just have to move forward.”