Volleyball team hosts Dig Pink game

Lisa Mirossay

The varsity volleyball, along with the other JV and freshman teams, will participate in the Dig Pink fundraiser game this Thursday. Pictured, the varsity team shakes hands with their opponents in a game against Eastlake North at North High School.

Alyssa Mirossay, Guest Writer

The volleyball team is hosting a Dig Pink Game this Thursday, Sept. 20. This game helps support and raise money for breast cancer research.

The head coach Rosella Glodkowski and assistant coach Greg Glodkowski (PG) have been hosting this annual game since 2010.

The players find this a good way to help out people who are fighting off this disease. Sophomore Megan Kocsis, one of the outside hitters, supports this cause and enjoys having it. She said, ”I think it’s cool how we give to other people who need it by doing something we all enjoy.”

PG enjoys this game for multiple reasons. He said, “The first thing is opportunity to help a foundation, that’s one thing I have heart for. I also love that the girls have an opportunity to do something to help a good cause and all the girls get excited to dress in pink and it’s a fun experience.”

All three high school volleyball teams will be participating in this event. Sophomore Olivia Nicolli, one of the captains of the JV team, said, “I like playing, that’s fun, and it helps bring awareness and money to cancer.”

One of the JV’s teams goals for this game is to raise more money than they did last year.

The people participating will be players, coaches, and parents. Glodkowski said, “We will have t-shirt sales, bracelets, water bottles and possibly a bake sale.”

The shirts will cost $10 each and if worn to the game, will also get you in for free. Bracelets will cost $3 each. These items were sold at the homecoming football game and will be on sale during all lunch periods until Sept. 20.

Every year the teams get shirts from the Dig Pink foundation that are customized each year. This year they say Dig Pink on the front and Mayfield Volleyball on the back.

All the proceeds will be going to the Dig Pink Foundation.

Senior Abby McCartney shows her spirit for the game. She said, “I like decorating the gym and helping out a good cause.”

Junior Maddie Sentle is supporting her friends during this game. She said, “None of my family has had cancer but I’ve had friends who have had cancer so I’m playing for them.”

Sentle also enjoys showing unity. She said, “I love the way both schools come together to raise money for a good cause.”

The Dig Pink Foundation’s goal is to bring athletes and teams together to support breast cancer and help them realize the importance of research. If interested in supporting the cause, host a game with your school, club or hold a tournament where all the proceeds go to breast cancer research. They also have another program called the Side-Out program which is supported and funded by the volleyball community across the US. The Side-Out program is helping doctors try a clinical trial of treatments to hopefully find the cure for stage Ⅳ patients.

The teams will be playing their games in the main gym and the fieldhouse on Sept. 20. Freshman game starts at 5pm, JV game starts at 5pm as well and the varsity game starts at 6:30pm. If a shirt was bought, the team wants their fans to wear it to the game.