Opinion: Vaping devices provoke addiction

Ecig Clickr, Wikimedia Commons

Substance abuse is down in nearly every category for teens, with exception of vaping. According to the Wall Street Journal, one out of every five students have said they vaped recently. That is more than three million teens.

Shania Turner, Guest Writer

Inhale. Exhale. Puff. Repeat. This process is used by countless individuals ranging from various age groups.

Vaping has become a serious issue particularly for teens and young adults. One of the reasons why it has risen is its device options.

Vaping not only looks cool but it’s relatively easy to do alone. Dr. Nora Volkow, director at the National Institute of Drug Abuse, told CNN, “Another issue of concern is, these devices are very efficient at delivering drugs rapidly into your brain and, in so doing, deliver the drugs in ways that make them more addictive — and so it’s not just nicotine. Now we also know that they are using it for 9THC.”

Most people probably don’t consider their vaping devices to be a cause of their addiction but it is quite the opposite. If a person does something just to look cool or to get that “high,” most likely he or she might not be paying much attention to the way that those drugs are making their way to the brain.

The wide array of vaping devices can prove to both promote and encourage vapers who are looking for cheaper or more attractive devices. Linda Richter oversees the research projects at the Center of Addiction and went into depth about the various vaping vessels. She said, “E-cigarettes, which resemble smoked cigarettes, and vape pens, which resemble large fountain pens, are typically simpler in design and less expensive than devices that have been customized by the user.”

Vaping on its own is detrimental but when the vessel for it looks and feels appealing to people, especially young adults, they start to go down a path that they might never be able to turn back from.

One particular vaping device, the Juul, has become even more popular among teens which is extremely worrisome given their mindset about them. Suchitra Krishnan-Sarin, co-leader of the Yale Tobacco Center for Regulatory Science, expressed the blind mindset that teens have toward devices such as the Juul. She told Yale Medicine, “When we ask teens about their vaping or e-cig habits, they don’t even consider Juuling to be part of that,”

It almost seems like manufacturers know how to reel in vapers by making the liquid inside popular devices contain nicotine no matter what. Kathleen Raven, who wrote an educational piece directed to parents, stated that if someone wants liquids without nicotine, he or she shouldn’t look to popular devices. She said, “While it’s possible to buy liquid without nicotine for some e-cigarettes, it’s not possible to do so with popular pod mod devices.”