Juniors prepare for future by attending career day

Juliana Fimiani

Counselor Pamela Bobinski explains career day to junior Mia Murphy.

Juliana Fimiani, Staff Writer

On Friday, Jan. 18, juniors will attend a career day in the Wood Gym.

Career day is designed for students to learn more about aspiring careers that they may want to pursue after high school. From first to second period, students will listen in on the professional speakers that will come in and talk about their careers.

Pamela Bobinski, a school counselor, is head organizer of the event.  “We have 16 different career groups that focus in gear on every single occupation out there into these different clusters,” said Bobinski.  “The purpose of a career day is to have somebody who is active, and knowledgeable, about the very specific careers out there.

Speakers will discuss a lot through the two-hour time slot they are given. “The education is reviewed, the training is reviewed, and they share really what their passion is in their field,” said Bobinski.

Junior Olivia Snedeker believes that career day will benefit her and other students. “I think career day is necessary because it will help us juniors kind of plan for the future, and also help other students who may be confused since there are so many different careers out there,”  Snedeker said.

Snedeker said she knows that the career day will give her more insight on her future and what she wants to do with it. “I know that I want to be in the medical field, but I’m not sure what field yet since there are so many of them. Career day will help me because I feel like there will be a lot of speakers on different types of doctors and things since it is such a popular career choice, so I think that what help me figure out what I want to do and why,” said Snedeker.

School guidance counselor Mia Bourdakos thinks teenagers should  start thinking about future careers. “In terms of really focusing when kids should start thinking about careers, I would definitely think high school is a good time. You also have to be careful because some kids don’t know and have a lot of varied interests,” Bourdakos said.

Bourdakos believes that career day is a very important day for juniors. “It is important in the junior year to think about what your interests are and where you could see yourself. The careers out there are always changing so anything that we have now, in this unbelievably slued society can change at any given notice,” said Bourdakos.