Sophomore vacations in Key West

Sunset+over+Key+West+Marina+

Wendelin Martinez

Sunset over Key West Marina

Brynn Gillen, Guest Writer

Jackie Jablonski traveled to Key West, Florida with family over winter break.

Her favorite thing to do was to go to the beach and her day usually consisted of swimming and tanning. She said “My favorite thing to do was go to the beach. I really liked going there and getting a nice tan so I could come back and have my friends be jealous of me.

“Overall I usually woke up at 9:00 and then ate breakfast on the patio and then got ready to go to the beach or pool that day or whatever we had planned and spent the day at the beach or pool until 3:00,” she said. “Then we went back to where we stayed and then took a shower and ate dinner.”

She went to a lot of restaurants, and one of her favorites was a tiki bar on the beach.

“I went to a lot of restaurants but my favorite was this place where you could eat on the beach tiki bar style. I ordered a chicken quesadilla, chips with spicy salsa, and a small coke. The food was really good and amazing!” Jablonski said.

Jablonski went swimming a lot to try and avoid the heat. She said, “I didn’t go into the ocean that much because the water was freezing, but when i did go into the water me, my sister, and brother we did paddle boarding which was a lot of fun and i became pretty good at it.”

Jablonski claimed that the weather was perfect the whole time she was there, no rain or anything just sunshine and warmth. She said, “The weather was beautiful. It was 75-80 degrees and sunny every single day. The second last day, we were there it rained for a half hour then it was cloudy for the rest of the day, but other than that it was pretty nice.”

Even though the beach was a bit of a drive away from their stay she still enjoyed it. “The beach was kinda far away; we drove to the beach [because] it was about a 15 minute drive but it was still worth it,” she said.

Her vacation was spent with her whole family. Jablonski said, “My family has a total of 6 people being me, mom, dad, two brothers, and sister.”

Jablonski’s family stayed in a condo and shared living space with each other. She said, “In a condo it was two floors, three bedrooms, three baths, and there was a pool in the backyard. I had to share a room with my sister, we shared a bed and a bathroom.”

The Jablonski family took a plane to Key West instead of driving. “I flew it took about five hours although it felt short it seemed like forever. I mostly just listened to music and slept. It was my first time flying and I enjoyed it very much,” Jablonski said.

Jablonski will go back to Florida any day of the week. She said, “I loved Florida. I’m willing to drop everything to go back there again [because] it was so much fun! Key West is such a great place to vacation to.”