The Paw Print

GSA plans to show film at Feb. meeting

Back to Article
Back to Article

GSA plans to show film at Feb. meeting

Nick Robinson, Katherine Langford, Jennifer Garner, and Josh Duhamel star in the 2018 film

Nick Robinson, Katherine Langford, Jennifer Garner, and Josh Duhamel star in the 2018 film "Love Simon." The GSA plans to watch the movie at their meeting this week.

Official 20th Century Fox website

Official 20th Century Fox website

Official 20th Century Fox website

Samaya Kala, Guest Writer

The Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) plans for an upcoming movie night.

English teacher Kari Beery is one of the club advisers who finds a movie night of interest to her student members. She said, “This movie night is going to be on Feb. 20. It is going to be at our normal meeting time which is at 3:05 and ends at 4:00 but it might extend because we are showing two movies.”

Beery said they are having the movie in a bigger place because they are expecting more people to show up. “It is going to be in the Senior Commons, whereas we usually meet in room 216, but we’re expecting a bunch of people so we’re going to be having it in a bigger venue.”

Club leader Ben Segall especially likes and chose the movie “Love Simon” because of the way they were able to portray their powerful meaning and because it is appropriate for all ages. He said, “I chose ‘Love Simon’ because it is a powerful coming out movie, and it’s one of the first movies ever to showcase a queer love movie that wasn’t sexualized.”

Beery said GSA is having the movie night so kids can have fun and socialize however it is also a way to educate others about LGBTQ+ topics. “The GSA is a group of individuals at this school that believes all people are welcome, and we hope to educate others about LGBTQ+ topics. There is also a socializing aspect where kids can just have fun, because everyone loves to see a movie, so it’s a great way for kids to get some friends together, and come and enjoy something that might be a great conversation starter.”

Segall’s sibling, Shelby, said she’s excited to hang out with friends and is going to be observing the relations and differences between LGBTQ+ topics in the book and movie. She said, “I am excited to see the movie again, and more closely notice how it showcases the LGBTQ+ community closer to the book as well. I am also excited to hang out with my friends and have an enjoyable time.”

Beery hopes that students will notice LGBTQ+ topics being portrayed and normalized in the media and know that it’s okay to express how they deeply feel. She said, “The movies will highlight the LGBTQ+ community, and when one sees media normalizing things that some people are afraid of or don’t understand, it’s a great door opener to humanize everyone. One of the movies we chose, ‘Love Simon,’ is the idea just loving someone, and everyone should be able to love who they want.”

Segall agrees with Beery’s s statement in that they both want kids to feel accepted once seeing the LGBTQ+ community depicted in the media. He said, “I agree with Ms. Beery, because seeing different people in the media exposes people to opportunities that they wouldn’t have otherwise. I think it is really important for people to learn about other situations because otherwise it will be harder for you to interact with people in everyday life if you don’t get to see an example of what is going on anyways.”

The GSA and Beery aspire that students will go to their club meetings and events knowing that there are peers and teachers there for them to help with whatever they need. She said, “Our club in general hopes to provide a safe place for all people, so if people know that we are here, they are welcome, and that they are supported.”

Although the movie night hasn’t happened yet, depending on the success, the GSA will see if they want to plan another movie event. She said, “It is the officers that decide what they want at their meetings, so depending on how successful this one is we will see if we will plan for another.”