The Paw Print

Seniors start scholarship process

Students+have+been+reading+through+many+scholarship+opportunities+to+determine+which+ones+they%27re+eligible+for.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors start scholarship process

Students have been reading through many scholarship opportunities to determine which ones they're eligible for.

Samantha Biscotti

Samantha Biscotti

Samantha Biscotti

Krista Rice, Chief Editor

As the end of the year approaches, seniors work towards receiving grants and scholarships for college.

A majority of students going to college have begun applying to scholarships in order to reach certain deadlines.

Senior Darwin Becker is currently in the TEACH program of Excel TECC and is planning on looking for scholarships. She said, “ I’m going to go through and prioritize which scholarships seem the most pertinent to me. Then I will figure out which ones I should do first to make sure they get done in time.”

Senior Rowen Newlon is planning on going to Bowling Green State University (BGSU). He said, “I got two scholarships from BGSU so far.”

While in the process of applying for scholarships, students may have to meet certain requirements.

Elizabeth Corpus, another senior said, “Some of the requirements for scholarships is having to write essays, either personal or community essays. A transcript is required in addition to service hours.”

Emily Ivanov, also a senior, is a member of the MedTech program with Excel TECC and has began and finished applying for local scholarships. She said, “My motto in life is on time is late and early is on time so that applied to my scholarship applications as well.”

While there are many different scholarships to choose from, students tend to pick out the ones they believe fit them best.

Corpus has started looking through and applying for her scholarship options. She said, “I have been looking at scholarships and I’ve tried to look for Asian-types of scholarships because they have scholarships for almost every other race. I’ve applied to scholarships dealing with ‘feminism’ so-to-speak and a softball scholarship in honor of Kayla Hoover.”

Some scholarships may be given from select schools without applying such as for Ivanov. She said, “I have received a few scholarships already but they’re from the actual colleges that I applied to and got accepted from. They were for my good grades and GPA as I worked really hard to achieve it.”

If seniors are interested in applying to scholarships, they can find applications in the counseling office, going to official college websites, or by asking one of the guidance counselors.

Krista Rice, Chief Editor

Krista Rice, a senior, is proudly a staff member of The Paw Print. In her senior year, Krista decided to take Honors News Writing to bring back good memories...