Winter Choir concert goes well

Yearbook Staff

Choir director Brian Fancher (right) leads the chorale at the Winter Choral concert on Tuesday, March 5.

Juliana Fimiani, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, March 5, the annual Winter Choral concert took place in the auditorium.

The concert featured the Mayfield concert choir and chorale, as well as the middle school 7th-grade chorale. MHS and MMS choir directors Brian Fancher and David Bright organized the concert.

Fancher said he and his students have put lots of preparation time in prior to the concert. “We have four concerts a year, and it’s usually one each quarter. So since the start of 3rd quarter, we’ve had about two months,” said Fancher.

Fancher was impressed with his concert choir and chorale students’ performances. “It’s amazing how quickly everything can come together. Even a week ago stuff might not have felt as solid or clear, but when everybody’s in concert-mode and dressed up, with lights on, it takes everyone up a notch,” Fancher said.

Fancher had enjoyed three songs by his students the most. ‘Hope for Resolution’ had a really beautiful ringing cord at the end that carried through the hall. ‘Elijah Rock’ was really fun and energetic, I thought they really were embodying that.

“The last piece ‘Please Stay’ that every group did, I think was particularly strong. I think that performance speaks for itself in several ways,” said Fancher.

Fancher also was pleased with all of the soloists and the speakers in the last song. He said, “I think they delivered their lines incredibly well, sincerely, and thoughtfully. That’s a huge part of making sure that at any performance that you take it seriously and you’re conveying what you’re trying to say.”

Junior Ashley Doering is part of the concert choir and thinks the concert was their best performance yet. “I think everyone liked the song choices better so we did a lot better. It’s a challenge to memorize our songs since we have three of them each concert, but I’m glad we had months to prepare,” Doering said.

Although the concert went well, it wasn’t perfect. Doering believes there were things herself and the group could have improved on. “I think we could have executed our performance better and given better facial expressions. We should have gotten more into our songs instead of just thinking of it as a grade,” said Doering.

Sophomore Tara Rassi is part of chorale and believes the concert went just as planned. “I think overall the concert went great and the emotion in the last song was very good. We all put in a lot of time and effort into this whole thing and I’m happy with the way it all turned out. If we could do one thing better, I’d say that should be using better time management skills in order to learn the songs in time for the concerts,” Rassi said.

Sophomore Mia Rapposelli is another member of the choral and she thinks the concert went surprisingly well. “I think the concert went really well, definitely better than expected. The first song was probably the easiest for me because there wasn’t many parts to it, and I actually liked the song. I think one thing I should do better next time is asking more questions, being there to practice more and learning the songs quicker,” said Rapposelli.

Fancher’s groups will perform next at the Spring Choir concert on Tuesday, May 7.