Cast of ‘Shrek: The Musical’ make improvements for final shows

Maddie Sentle, Mayfield Yearbook Staff

Brianna Mosley is preparing to play Princess Fiona for the final three perfomances of “Shrek: The Musical” this weekend.

Becca Fritz, Guest Writer

Mayfield High School performed their first showings of “Shrek: The Musical” last weekend, but what did the cast and audience think of it?

The main star of the play, Shrek, is played by senior Nate Muhlbach. He said, “Okay so out of 10, I would give [my performance] a 7 because I feel like I could do a lot better. However, I think that it was really successful because we had about 650 people a night which is huge. So yeah we had a big crowd but we’re expecting an even bigger crowd this weekend.”

Junior Clay Cunningham saw the show with a couple of friends. He said, “My favorite part had to be when Lord Farquaad came out on the cutout horse and [the cast on stage] made the comment about how it was a fake horse. Also I liked how they had the backing-up sirens going when the horse was moving backwards. That scene was just really funny.”

Megan Fowler is a sophomore who played the Ugly Duckling in the musical. She said, “I think I performed pretty well along with the rest of my cast members, because we’ve been practicing for so long so I feel like we all know our parts pretty well and actually act like we are those characters in real life.”

Although Fowler believes she performed quite well, there is one thing she would like to change for this coming up weekend. She said, “I would want to perfect the volume of the first fairytale creatures number, “Story of my Life” by making it louder.”

While Cunningham’s favorite scene was about Lord Farquaad, his favorite character was Donkey (performed by freshman Daniel Blum) because he was hilarious. Cunningham said, “I feel like every scene he was in, he just made it really funny. Also, [Blum] did a really good job at capturing the comedy and annoyance that Donkey portrays in the real movie.”

If Muhlbach could change how he performed this weekend he said he would change, “Normally I would say the Scottish accent, but I would say more working with the prosthetics. Just because I have a fake nose, and using it’s fine but it falls off, so I guess just try to perfect the costumes.”

Out of all the 70 students that the play was made up of, Fowler believes Brianna Mosley (as Princess Fiona) performed the best. She said, “I think Bri performed the best. Her voice is amazing and the way she portrays Fiona is so funny and amazing.”

Although Cunningham enjoyed the musical a lot, and thought it was very funny, there is one thing he thinks they should fix up a little bit for this weekend’s play. He said, “The only thing I thought they could improve on were the mythical creatures outfits. Some of them were put together well, but others were just really confusing. For instance, I didn’t get why the three pigs had clown suits on, or why the bear family were wearing fur coats over their costumes.”

Muhlbach said there have been a lot of favorite moments being apart of this cast. He said, “There’s a lot of favorites. Everyone comes together for everything and that’s always really cool. Whenever we needed help with the set or anything there were always people there to help, which meant we could get a little break which was awesome. In the past productions it was kind of like adults did their thing and kids did their thing, but now everyone has come together. Also being able to work with the middle school and elementary school students has been really cool too.”

Shrek is being performed again this weekend at Mayfield High School, April 12-13 at 7pm and April 14th at 2pm. Tickets can be purchased online at https://www.mayfieldvocalmusic.org/.