Girls seek to find the perfect prom dress

Marlee Snider

Marlee Snider tries on her dress from Bloomingdale’s.

Juliana Fimiani, Staff Writer

On Saturday, May 18, Mayfield’s prom will take place at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in downtown Cleveland.

But girls have found it difficult to find a dress that fits their body, look, and budget.

Junior Emily Steffey has dealt with some of these struggles. “I purchased my prom dress from Windsor which is located at Great Lakes Mall. After getting home and trying it on again I realized it wasn’t fitting right. Too bad it was non-returnable,” Steffey said.

Sophomore Makayla DePinto plans to attend NDCL’s prom and has found the process of getting her prom dress easier than she thought. “I purchased my dress from Windsor and it was only $54. Besides the fact that I have to get shoes that are like $20, I’m happy I only spent $54 especially on a dress I’m only going to wear once,” DePinto said.

Although the dress didn’t end up working out for Steffey, she says the price was reasonable. “The dress was $100, so in my opinion that’s pretty well-priced. You can easily tell which dresses are bad quality compared to the ones that will make it out okay,” said Steffey.

Steffey admits she was on a time crunch while buying her dress, which may have led to her impulsive buy. “I literally had an hour to find a dress. I felt so pressured to find one because all my friends already had theirs, so I was the last one. Right now I’m just hoping someone will purchase my dress which I’m selling for $60,” Steffey said.

The junior agrees with many others that finding a dress isn’t as easy as it seems. “Considering I am getting a new dress, I’d say it is very very hard to find the perfect dress that fits every curve of one’s body. I would say it’s nearly impossible to find one that doesn’t have some type of issue,” said Steffey.

Steffey believes that certain dresses can definitely be overpriced. “Some of the dresses out there are gorgeous but then you see the price, and change your mind. It stinks that some are overpriced but that’s what you get for all the glitz and glam,” Steffey said.

She also says that sometimes kids overpay, especially seniors, but there could be other reasons, too. “It also might be okay if someone’s mom is okay with having them spend that much. Prom is supposed to be super glamorous so in certain situations, I think it’s okay to overpay,” said Steffey.

Although there are dozens of online dress websites, Steffey admits most kids only shop at two. “Windsor and Lulu’s is where everyone gets their dress, literally everyone. They both have reasonable prices and have most styles everyone is looking for. Sadly, with my experience at Windsor I recommend somewhere not everyone goes [because] Windsor’s dresses are a little overrated,” Steffey said.

Junior Marlee Snider also had struggles until she found her prom dress. “I found my dress at Bloomingdale’s for a very great and reasonable price. It did take me about two months to find the dress, browsing on and off the internet,” said Snider.

Snider picked out her perfect dress, but still has second thoughts. “I honestly still look for dresses even though I already found one. I always have to keep my eyes open in case I find something prettier,” Snider said.

Snider agrees with Steffey that prom dress prices can get a little crazy. “Some dresses out there are like $600 or more and I would never pay that much for a dress I’m only wearing once. I think that some of the prices can easily get out of control,” said Snider.

Snider believes people overpay just for the overall look of the dress. “I think people overpay for looks, like the more expensive the better the material, and the less expensive the cheaper the material is. This isn’t necessarily the case and people need to realize that because they could be saving money,” said Snider.