Seniors near graduation, prepare for next chapter

End-of-the-year+senior+activities+have+already+started%2C+such+as+the+NHS+Senior+Farewell+which+took+place+in+late+April.++

Pavitra Reddy / Mayfield Yearbook Staff

End-of-the-year senior activities have already started, such as the NHS Senior Farewell which took place in late April.

Juliana Fimiani, Staff Writer

Seniors are preparing to end their high school careers when they graduate on May 25 and are excited for all the opportunities in store for them.

Senior varsity cheerleader and yearbook member Allie Ford is ready to begin her new life as a college student. “I’m going to Capital University for emerging media with a specialization in marketing. This whole month of May is such an exciting and thrilling time with Senior Send-off, Prom, and graduation which makes me want to come to school because I know I should treasure the days I have left there,” Ford said.

Ford has set more goals for herself after putting down her final deposits for college. “Things have definitely been harder ever since I put down my deposit, because I realized everything I’ve worked for paid off. Considering I won’t have to take finals if I get A’s in my classes, I’ve had a bigger motivation to get my work done,” said Ford.

Ford says she feels ready to graduate and step into the real world. She said, “I’m so excited to kind of start a new life and see what college has in store for me. It’s exciting but also nerve-wracking when one door closes and another one opens.”

With all the end of year shenanigans, Ford says she has remained focused and undistracted. “For me it’s always been the same. Whenever cheer season is over, I put more of my focus on school because it gives me something to do. However, I definitely have been spending more time with friends and people I probably won’t see in a long time after I graduate,” said Ford.

Senior Medical Technologies student Branden Elliott is eager to move past high school and into college. “I’m going to Cleveland State University to major in nursing. The past few months have really been an eye-opener for me with the realization that I’m graduating soon,” Elliot said.

Elliott says things have become more stressful his senior year. “Since I am going to major in nursing, I have taken all my motivation to do well in my Med Tech program which has made me a little less focused on my other classes,” he said. “Med Tech can be really tiring and stressful, so by the time I get back to the high school for the rest of my classes sometimes I just feel unmotivated and tired.”

Elliott is ready to make new memories at Cleveland State. “Ever since freshman year I’ve been thinking about college. Nursing has always been my dream and I’m thrilled to say that dream is finally coming true. High school has been fun, but I’m ready to start this new chapter in my life,” Elliot said.

Joining Elliott at Cleveland State will be senior Ashleigh Kazeka who admits she is ready to get out of high school and begin her journey to adulthood. “This past month has been so exhilarating for me because within months I’ll have a whole new routine and other things to look forward to,” said Kazeka.

Kazeka, who will major in criminal justice, confessed she’s been coasting along these last few weeks of her high school career. “I’ve been really stressed and unfocused because I’m constantly filling out paperwork, for things such as housing applications and classes for college while still trying to complete assignments for school,” Kazeka said.

Kazeka says she’s beyond ready to finish high school. “I’ve pretty much been tuned out of school at this point. I have so many things on my mind like looking for roommates, how I want to set up my dorm, and all the opportunities I’ll have once i’m out of school. It’s been a great 4 years, but I think I can speak for all of us when I say we’re ready to leave,” she said.

Ford, Elliott, Kazeka, and the rest of the Class of 2019 will commence at Connor Palace Theater at 2pm on May 25.