Opinion: Athletes should work hard over summer

Mayfield Yearbook Staff

Becca Fritz, a state qualifier in 2019, is determined to keep training this summer.

Becca Fritz, Staff Writer

In order to get stronger and better, you must work hard all year round, including over the summer.

As a gymnastics state qualifier on bars and floor, I know that the only way to get to the top is by pushing yourself. You cannot reach your goals by slacking. That’s why I believe that every athlete has to work hard over the summer.

Michael Huss, starting quarterback on the varsity football team, continues to better himself over the summer with workouts, going to the field, etc. He said, “Hard work definitely pays off because it prepares you for situations that you’ll face in game time, like when you don’t have any motivation or energy left, you just have to feel it from the heart. Also, when you’ve been put in that situation before during practice then you’ll be able to work through it during a game.”

Obviously hard work pays off, but I think what makes an even better athlete is attending camps and mini camps over the summer. The camps are a great way to learn new techniques and learn different strategies from different coaches.

Junior Lillie Edwards, a leader on the girls varsity basketball team, believes in hard work and dedication. Edwards said, “I will be going to college camps this summer along with going to showcases to display my talents in front of college coaches. I definitely think these camps will help me improve before the season starts and to see better competition. Also, since I am playing in front of college coaches, it will help me get recruited.”

Camps are very important because that’s how you meet new people or bond with your team. On top of that, they also help prepare you for season. Huss said, “I think [camps] help [the football team] get prepared for the season because we’re already acclimated together and have experience with the playbook and we’re more prepared than we would be just starting on August 1st.”

If you want to be a great athlete, and not just mediocre, you MUST set goals for yourself. If you don’t set yourself to high standards, you will never be one of the top athletes in your sport.

Two-year high school gymnast and soon to be captain of the team, Ashley Hughes, believes that there is no other way to get to the top than working hard and setting goals for yourself. She said, “Every summer I set goals for myself. Whether that be trying to get a new skill or just trying to get stronger. I do this because I want to be better by the time season comes around and it just helps me to push myself harder.”

A great way to help set goals for yourself is by talking to your coaches and listening to their expectations from you. Edwards said, “I usually set goals for myself. For example, Coach Looman created the 10,000 shot challenge, and I usually like to aim for at least 12,000 [shots]. Last summer I hit 15,000 shots and was pretty proud of myself. This summer I have set goals on not only the court but to make my mental game stronger. I definitely think setting goals helps and motivates me because sometimes you do go through rough patches and I know my goals really pushed me to be better.”

While working hard, going to camps, and setting goals for yourself are all necessities to be the best of the best, you can never forget to personally push yourself and go out of your comfort zone sometimes. Hughes said, “To become more successful, personally, I lift on my own time, outside of practice. Also, during the summer since it’s nice out, I like to go on daily runs to keep my endurance up, even though I really don’t like running at all.”