Interact Club hopes to help community next school year

Mr. Jerry Turk

Assistant club adviser Jerry Turk and Interact Club members were able to help with multiple community projects last year, before the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Sampurna Sarkar, Guest Writer

After losses resulting from COVID-19, Interact Club is looking for new sophomores and juniors to fill leadership roles.

Club adviser Kate McCartney and assistant club adviser Jerry Turk admit they’re looking for all-star students who care a great deal about the community and to make it a better place to live. Turk said the club is looking to fill the roles of President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary by students who possess “enthusiasm, dedication and energy to lead the club.”

Turk believes it’s difficult not having as many students participating compared to past years. He said, “This election is more important than any that we’ve had because I miss the days that we’d have too many people, and we’d have to actually have people in the hallway because the lecture hall (Room 100) was overfilled.”

Motivation to work at service events has also been reduced, according to Turk. He said, “Last year, we had a down year for many reasons, and in the current school year, because of COVID, we only have 45-50 active members. It’s tough to keep our members motivated and informed when we don’t meet in person every week.”

Turk says that the voting this year will be quite different compared to the other years. He said, “The voting will be done on a Google Form, so that will actually make voting more available to our members. In the past, they could only vote live in our meetings in Room 100.”

Club member Albana Selgjekaj plans to run for an officer position and admits that it’s hard to get in-person learners to be actively participating in activities. She said, “We will need to find ways to work around that.”

However, Turk is hopeful for the new year and new officers to bring the club back to its previous glory. “I’m so impressed with our active members. I can see that they’re hungry for events and opportunities to make our school and community a better place. We’re planning some outdoor events before the school year ends, so hopefully they’ll feel connected and excited to do more once the COVID ban is lifted,” he said.

Turk believes the past and current officers have always had a dynamic personality, and how that must continue in order for a successful club. He said, “Interact officers set the tone for the meetings and our events. We’re currently blessed to have four awesome young ladies to lead us.”

These officers include Kathleen Du, Morgan Tropf, Monica DiFranco, and Valerie Sague.

Most importantly, Turk is continuing to look on the bright side, focusing on the current election and its accessibility. “The election process should be easy for our students…we’ve communicated with them when nominations are, when speeches are, and when the election is. Being able to do all this virtually, makes the process more accessible to everyone because they can take part at home, or wherever they are,” he said.

Sophomore Nassim Aidja is also planning to run for an officer position and acknowledges what needs to improve. He said, “Considering the significant decrease in events and participants, it makes it harder to engage more people in community service and spreading the word in regards to the benefits of helping others. For officer elections, this means less members to lead in the future, and help make the world a better place.”

Aidja believes the “odd format of schooling” is muting the energy this year, and hopefully a new election and new school year will be a turning point for the club. “Because with such a strong pool of people, the club will be in good hands, attracting more people, helping more people, and doing the best that they can,” he said.

Looking ahead, Selgjekaj believes the club will be able to help the commununity, and this makes her feel good about the role she plays in serving others. Selgjekaj said, “Certainly, I feel like I am impacted with every event I help out in. The gratitude of the people you are helping is always rewarding and it makes you feel good when you know you are giving back to your community.”

Aidja agrees, calling the COVID pandemic nothing more than a “speed bump” in the success of the club. He said, “The Interacters and officers will definitely pull through. ”