Movie Night: Hardy stars in ‘Venom’ sequel

Official Sony movie website

“Venom: Let There Be Carnage” is playing at local Atlas and Regal theaters.

Abby Nelson, Guest Writer

Enjoying the weekend watching “Venom: Let There Be Carnage” at Regal Willoughby Commons is worth the pretty penny.

Released on Oct. 1, the sequel is only available in theaters, but it’s worth the time and ticket price; at 1 hour and 26 minutes, this movie is short and sweet.

The movie is centered around reporter Eddie Brock and the symbiotic alien Venom. It strays far from the first movie, taking on an entirely new plot in which Eddie and Venom grow as friends and learn to coexist in the same body.

Taking place in San Francisco, Brock works closely with the police as a reporter while struggling to hide Venom from them. He is forced to work together with his ex-fiance Anne and her new fiance Dan in order to stop the wake of destruction from a newly created symbiote – and the maniacal plans of serial killer Cletus Kasady.

Tom Hardy stars as Eddie Brock, and Hardy’s delivery and mannerisms bring the anti-hero to life. Sophomore Rafaela Nurieva enjoyed watching Hardy in the movie. She said, “I think he portrayed the emotions that the character was feeling very accurately and precisely.”

Serial Killer and antagonist Cletus Kasady is played by Woody Harrelson. Harrelson’s acting brought an uncanny, disturbing air to his character that is both fascinating and uncomfortable to witness. His facial expressions, strange movements, and 1000-yard stare were perfectly executed to create a convincing psychopath.

Co-star Michelle Williams plays Anne, the ex-fiance. Both Anne and her new fiance Dan know about Venom, however, they are regular people. This sets up the story for a suspenseful climax when their roles are revealed, shocking the audience.

Williams’ acting portrays Anne’s cleverness and quick wit. They prove themselves to be true heroes when they take part in resolving the main conflict. Both Anne and her fiance are representations of the underdog, and Williams plays the part of the unseemingly hero beautifully.

This movie is strikingly similar to the tone of “Deadpool.” It follows the journey of the anti-hero, who is trigger-happy and doesn’t take himself too seriously. One of the main differences is the PG-13 rating, which allows it to reach a larger audience compared to “Deadpool’s” R rating.

Nurieva’s favorite character was Venom. Anti-heroes are usually the most comedic and relatable characters. She said, “I really liked Venom because of the humor he brought into the movie.”

The movie is very action-packed, which could make the plot seem rushed at some points. The movie could be improved if there was a slower buildup to the climax, rather than it being rushed into. I would also have liked to see more development of the side characters, as they are not very detailed when they are first introduced.

Overall, I would rate the movie 8.5 out of 10 chickens. It was entertaining and never dull. The characters are interesting and dynamic, and I would recommend this movie to anyone who loves action, anti-heroes, and an awesome time.