NHS inducts new junior members

Mr. Legan's official Twitter account

The NHS seniors surround the five pillar candles of the prestigious organization. At last Friday’s induction ceremony, the organization welcomed over 40 new members.

Hannah Birnbaum, Staff Writer

Last Friday, the annual induction ceremony for the National Honor Society was held, as the new members were welcomed into the organization after going through the application process.

AEP coordinator and National Honor Society (NHS) adviser Jen Hyland evaluates all of the applicants based on the five pillars: leadership, scholarship, service, character, and citizenship. Hyland said, “Students must have a minimum 3.8 GPA (cumulative), complete 30 hours of service, be involved in a minimum of 2 clubs or activities, and show examples of leadership.”

Hyland believes getting inducted is a great accomplishment. She said, “You have to work hard in the years leading up to your application to make sure that you meet the requirements for membership. Performing community service, being an active member in clubs, and practicing being a leader are not easy accomplishments for high school students.”

Junior Payton Brown was inducted as a new member last week and was honored to be included. She said, “My favorite part was probably when everyone’s names were called individually and everyone was given a pin and rose, as it felt really special.”

The ceremony included key moments, such as Aribah Hossain’s piano performance and a speech by math teacher Steve Shirey, who was this year’s NHS Honoree Teacher Inductee. Hyland said, “I also enjoyed seeing all the students sitting on stage together once they have all been formally inducted.”

Senior Hailey Nelson was inducted at last year’s virtual NHS induction ceremony and thought this year’s event was more special. She said, “Last year’s ceremony was weird because it was online and it was very weird to be a part of since most of us had our cameras off and just sat there. This year’s ceremony was definitely better though since we were able to be in-person,” she said.

Being a member of NHS is a privilege, according to Hyland, as those inducted must now uphold the standards of membership. She said, “Obviously since this is a national organization, colleges also look highly upon membership. You represent a high level of standing within the high school community because you have achieved the standards of the pillars.”

Browns decided to apply not only to grow academically but to also participate in service activities. She said, “The application process really challenged me to think about all of the service I have done throughout my high school years, which I thought was very important.”

Nelson wanted to apply because it would allow her to grow as a well-rounded student. She said, “It’s definitely become something I enjoy being a part of and participating in.”

To learn more about the organization, visit the Mayfield High School NHS homepage.