Bahama Breeze astonishes with Caribbean theme

The Chicken Quesadilla is an appetizer that sells for less during happy hour.  Photo by official Bahama Breeze website.

The Chicken Quesadilla is an appetizer that sells for less during happy hour. Photo by official Bahama Breeze website.

RAINA DANO, Contributor

Bahama Breeze is a unique Caribbean themed restaurant in Beachwood that offers an incredible dining experience, depending on how long it takes for the food to be served.

The best aspect about this restaurant is the atmosphere. Right away, the dark wooden beams and tables, wicker chairs, low hanging lights, and framed paintings of the beach exude a tropical vibe when first entering the place.

Plants that are usually found at an island are incorporated in the restaurant as well. Palm trees and various pots of flowers are scattered around the area while the starfish patterned seats and striped curtains tie the whole environment together by adding a nice pop of color to the otherwise dark furnishings.

The mid-tempo and reggae music played a huge part in setting a perfect Caribbean mood. It was played live during “Happy Hour” and complemented the ambiance of the slow paced and cozy atmosphere.

Surprisingly for a weekend, this restaurant wasn’t busy at all and my family and I were seated right away. Not only that, but our food was served after only 15 minutes of waiting.

The meal was delivered extremely hot and the presentation was exceptional. For the most part, the meals were affordable (range $7 – $15) and had one of a kind tastes to them.

One of the entrées was the Chipotle Beef ($9.79) which includes sautéed beef sirloin, roasted corn and black beans in chipotle sauce served over rice and cheese; it was topped with sour cream, fresh salsa and ripe avocado.

The first bite of this meal was especially pungent. The corn and black beans drenched in the chipotle sauce gave just the right amount of spiciness to the dish, while the sour cream muted the zesty taste of the spices by cooling the mouth. But after a couple of spoonfuls, the toppings were a bit overwhelming and the meal was quickly abandoned.

The Fresh Vegetable Quesadilla ($7.49) was much more appetizing. The gooey texture of the melted cheese and soft vegetables mostly contributed to the scrumptious taste.  A side dish of tomato salsa and sour cream enhanced the flavors even more.

Our server made our experience exceedingly better. She was welcoming and friendly throughout the entire course of our stay and was very specific when describing the lunch specials, which is a sign of a knowledgeable staff.

Bahama Breeze can also be admired for its cleanliness. The tables and floors aren’t sticky or filled with any noticeable crumbs. The silverware is freshly washed and readily placed on the tables in a neatly wrapped red cloth.

One of the cons to dining at Bahama Breeze is their small selection of food. There aren’t a lot of options for vegetarians since most of their entrees contain meat.

While their offerings are a little different from the typical family restaurant, I’m not certain they serve true Caribbean style food.

Unfortunately, past visits to this restaurant suggest that their service isn’t so great either.

Sophomore Amber Hall has dined at Bahama Breeze and said her experience was terrible due to the waiting time. “It took almost 40 minutes for the food to come out and [the restaurant] wasn’t even that busy,” she said.

Whether the service is fast or slow just depends on the day.  It’s unpredictable which might be a deal breaker for some people.

Of all the restaurants near Mayfield, there is only one that has a Caribbean based theme like Bahama Breeze.

Cabana’s Island, a restaurant located in Chardon, can be compared to Bahama Breeze because of its entertaining live music and island décor. However, a major difference between the two is that Cabana’s Island has a wider range of seafood. It’s also noisier and more cluttered while Bahama Breeze is a more quiet and organized place.

Bahama Breeze definitely has a friendly environment that both children and adults will love. It’s a worthwhile restaurant if the uncertainty of the service doesn’t bother you.

About the Restaurant

Bahama Breeze

Grade: 4/5 

Contact: (216) 896-9081

Where: 3900 Orange Plaza, Beachwood, OH 44122

Online: bahamabreeze.com

Hours: Sunday – Thursday: 11:00 A.M. – 11:00 P.M.
Friday – Saturday: 11:00 A.M. – 12:00 A.M.

Price: Appetizers: $8 -15; Entrees: $12-22; Desserts: $5-7 

Cuisine: Caribbean